Bathroom Ceiling Extractor Fan (Building Regs)

Hi, I have had a small single story front porch and shower/wc built, and looking at getting some the electrics done.

I have had a couple of PartP certified leccys round, and they clearly aren't consistent in their advise (I am suspicious of all tradesmen who will use building regs excuse to make THEIR life easier).

Now I would prefer a ceiling mounted extractor fan rather than a wall mounted one (which looks ugly IMHO). One of the leccys said it would be fine, the other said I would need a loft hatch installed for service of it. Anyone know which is correct?

Also I specified I didn't want one of the ones on the automatic timer that comes on when the light is switched on, nor did I want a pull-cord in the bathroom, I wanted a switch outside the room, as clearly I don't want the thing coming on for 20 minutes every time someone went in there to take a leak.... One leccy said this would be fine (as there was already a window with a opener), another was not sure.

Reply to
MarkG

I have built two reasonable quality ones completely in. No access.

BCO passed it.

Bring all wires to isolation switch AND the light switch, outside,. outside. Do what BCO says. Then rewire it the way YOU want it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You would want access to the fan.

You have a choice of a ceiling fan unit with duct to the outside or duct to a ceiling vent, an inline fan and more ducting to the outside.

You could of course have a small access panel directly under the fan in someconvenient location en-route.

Humidisat and optional pull cord one-shot override coupled with a fan with timer for 5-10 minutes run on.

That will only activate for a bath or shower when teh humidity demands it. the one shot cord pull is nice for clearing the air after a stinky one :)

Downside - humidistats aren't cheap...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this a ceiling mounted fan or an in-line fan?

Well that would be easily sorted and would be my prefered way of installation.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not sure of the difference!! Can you point to some pics or links that show the difference?

Thanks.

Reply to
MarkG

Sure

Have a look at

click on a few for some images and installation manuals.

You cannot install or replace an "Inline - Duct fan" without a hole bigger than the fan once the plasterboard is up. ie you need loft access.

Now

loft access to swap the fan but

surface mouted fans that need no loft access.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A ceiling mounted fan has the bit that moves the air mounted in the bit that fits into the hole in the ceiling. An inline fan has ducting either side of it one to the ceiling fitting the other to the outside vent.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

and dont be afraid of using either in matcless mode.

Hacking a lump of plasterboard out of a ceiling is, after you have done it once, really no big deal..hack remove service, refit, filler round edges, sand, repaint.

My inline fan is coming up to ten years, and really that's longer than I expected.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I may be missing something but, unless you are unwisely discharging from the fan directly into the loft void, how would the exhaust duct be installed without loft access?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Before the ceiling goes up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sometimes it is finding where the fan is, they can be well hidden and even if installed yourself the location can be forgotten.

A site I help out on has a 5m run of ducting with an inline fan somewhere in it that I am dreading looking for if/when it fails. Judging by the standards of work in the rest of the job it wont have been a premium unit so I don't think this one will be still going at 10yrs.

These days I would put in a small, subtle access panel.

Reply to
fred

If you have an opening window, it doesn't require an over-run. It can be operated by a manual switch with or without a humidistat; a humidistat requires a manual over-ride to allow the fan to be turned on.

The guidance says, "where reasonable, pull cords...should be provided", so it's not a must. However, personally, I'd prefer the switch (i.e., the pull cord) inside the room.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula