Can an in-line extractor fan be mounted at an odd angle?

Daughter has a "passive" 5 inch duct from bathroom ceiling to roof. This is not proving sufficient with her power shower.

I plan to insert an in-line fan (e.g. Manrose MF125T) in the ducting:-

The installation instructions state:- "INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR MF FAN MODELS

This type of extractor fan is designed to work inserted into any stretch of air extraction conduit, whether positioned vertically or horizontally.

The easiest way to add the fan is by fixing it to the woodwork which is at an angle. Would this cause any extra noise or bearing wear?

Reply to
Geo

No, but it will reduce flow which is never great with a fan in a long tube anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd imagine this would depend on how well balanced the fan is, and its speed.

Its one of those how long is a piece of string questions. All I'd say is make it easy to get at should the need arise. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My experience is that fans with cheap sintered bearings will start to rattle and seize after a number of years but can be temporarily fixed by oiling. Ball bearing ones should last a lot longer so maybe try a quality cooling fan from a mainframe computer.

Reply to
therustyone

Noise, yes. Whatever you attach it to will bece a sounding board. Fix that by using 2 rubber washers on each mounting point.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd probably go for a vertical board mounted via a couple of battens to the rafters. If only to provide two places to isolate the fans vibrations from the structure.

Minimum number of bends and no dips (undrained) to collect condensation in the duct run is probably more important than motor angle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Dave and others for the advice. If the job goes ahead as planned I will return with results.

Reply to
Geo