In Line Extractor Fan Advice Please

I am looking to install an extractor fan for a bathroom project. Based on Vent Axia calculator and others, the cheap and cheerful 4" wall mounted versions pushed by the sheds is somewhat lacking. I am therefore conidering an in line fan with 5 or 6" ducting via the loft to an end wall outlet.

My questions are:

How to terminate the duct through the wall - previously I have used a wall terminal kit consisting of an external grill, a wall sleeve and a spigot plate so that the ducting can be taken from a fixed connection at the wall. I am struggling to find one for ducting larger than 4". Can anyone recommend a supplier, or advise a suitable alternative?

Vent Axia offer a mixed flow fan ACM range. These look pretty good but I am being quoted £110 (+ £35 for timer) for a 6" version!! Are they worth the big bucks?

Any general advice on ducting installation would be gratefully received.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The alternative is to fit two 4" fans, which are cheap and readily available. In our main bathroom we have two in-line fans. One grille in the ceiling is over the loo, the other over the bath. They use flexible pipe to connect to the in-line fans in the loft and then discharge out of plastic vents in the soffits.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

When using ducting, always use a centrifugal fan. Axial flow fans get good flow rates, but are unable to produce a significant pressure differential, which is what is need to promote flow through a duct. Centrifugal fans may produce lower flow rates, but they can really push against resistance, which is what is needed here.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks to all for age advice and confirming my thoughts.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I got some very useful information in the form of a catalogue and user guide as a downloadable .pdf file from the Domus website when I was working on a kitchen (I also wanted a larger than standard duct and components.) I think their website will be

I could not find anyone who held stocks of the parts but once I found their number for a kit, I was able to order it through a local builders merchants who stocked the standard size components.

Reply to
Brian S Gray

Thanks Brian - that Domus info is most useful

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster