Change an extractor fan? Advice please

My wife recently had a humidistat and extractor fan fitted to her shower ro om. The fan is ~very~ loud and doesn't seem to have a lot of suck either - it can't even hold a tissue to itself........Are these matching units i.e. must a humidistat fan be replaced with another or can I bung in any old fan ? She doesn't want the lad back, he didn't clean up after drilling through the walls, left the exterior in a right mess etc, etc. Another job he did i n the kitchen was fine though. I'm quite capable of swapping one fan for an other, just don't know whether is' that "simple". Many thanks for any help.

Reply to
greyridersalso

room. The fan is ~very~ loud and doesn't seem to have a lot of suck either

- it can't even hold a tissue to itself........Are these matching units i.e . must a humidistat fan be replaced with another or can I bung in any old f an? She doesn't want the lad back, he didn't clean up after drilling throug h the walls, left the exterior in a right mess etc, etc. Another job he did in the kitchen was fine though. I'm quite capable of swapping one fan for another, just don't know whether is' that "simple". Many thanks for any hel p.

BTW, the "sensor" is at one end of the shower room, the fan the other

Reply to
greyridersalso

Mine worked off the light switch so had three (L N and SW) cables. My mistake was replacing the 20 year old Aidelle Loovent with some cheapo job that the wholesaler happened to have in stock. Should have spent the extra money on something that did more than just spin.

Reply to
stuart noble

room. The fan is ~very~ loud and doesn't seem to have a lot of suck either

- it can't even hold a tissue to itself........Are these matching units i.e . must a humidistat fan be replaced with another or can I bung in any old f an? She doesn't want the lad back, he didn't clean up after drilling throug h the walls, left the exterior in a right mess etc, etc. Another job he did in the kitchen was fine though. I'm quite capable of swapping one fan for another, just don't know whether is' that "simple". Many thanks for any hel p.

Take the cover off and find out. Does the fan simply have mains in connecti ons (L,SWL,N,E) or also a humidistat sensor connection.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

Before even thinking anymore about replacing it, take it apart. If it isn't holding a tissue, then it isn't working correctly, this coupled with the noise maybe an indication that the fitter has made a b@lls up of something mechanically simple that you could fix.

Presumably he fitted a 3 way isolator switch? So working on it should be easy enough, if he didn't, then remember that there will be a permanent live feed to it, so isolate it at your consumer unit before removing any covers.

Dare one ask if the fitter was qualified to do the work?? :-)

Have fun and stay alive.

Reply to
Bill

room. The fan is ~very~ loud and doesn't seem to have a lot of suck either

- it can't even hold a tissue to itself........Are these matching units i.e . must a humidistat fan be replaced with another or can I bung in any old f an? She doesn't want the lad back, he didn't clean up after drilling throug h the walls, left the exterior in a right mess etc, etc. Another job he did in the kitchen was fine though. I'm quite capable of swapping one fan for another, just don't know whether is' that "simple". Many thanks for any hel p.

If you are going to extract air, you have to let air in to replace it. If air can't get in, it won't work. And may even be noisy for that reason.

Reply to
harry

Thanks all, yes, installed by a qualified electrician, plenty of air gap under the door which is opposite the fan. Pulling it down revealed only two connections so no problem to change it,

"IP44 New low watt Energy Saving range. Complies with New Building Regs 2010 Domestic and F1

Wall or Ceiling Mount Quiet Operation 38dBA Airflow 75m³ per hour, 20lts/s 220-240V AC to 12v DC Output 4.3W 3123 rpm"

Still useless as far as I can tell but just as I started to look for a replacement I was told not to bother and that she'll "put up with it a bit longer". Oi veh, already. Thanks again (sounds of man giving up)

Reply to
Harry

Disconnect it then, failing fans cause fires

NT

Reply to
meow2222