Extractor fan for bathroom

Looking to fit a fan in the bathroom. The room is about 10 - 12 cu. m. so not very big. I'd like to put it in the ceiling then take the trunking to the soffit; said soffit slopes up to the fascia at about 20 - 30 deg. from horizontal - this might help or hinder according to fittings used. It'd need, I feel, an in-line non-return flap of some sort as the more usual type of outlet might not function too well at that angle.
Anyway, looked at some and Vent-Axia seem very expensive so looking at possibly Manrose. Which type and make of fan would be reliable, not too dear and also suitable for a room of this size. Not too worried about a timer as I have some and have drawn a circuit for it. Air inlet isn't a problem as I leave the door open a bit - not much open otherwise the mist can trigger the smoke alarm on the landing! The loft is partly boarded so I can use a ceiling- or loft-mounted fan.
Thanks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote:

I used an axial (inline in the loft) Soler Palau fan with run-on timer.
http://www.justfans.co.uk/sp-td160-mixvent-100mm-p-298.html
Most of the duct is rigid 100mm. For the bit that went over the wall plate I used rectangular (flat) 100mmx50mm flexi duct which connected to a square brown soffit vent with flyscreen.
No draught flaps - it does not seem to be a problem with 5m of ducting.
Bathroom end: 90 deg round duct elbow straight onto a round ceiling vent.
The only issue is the vent is a bit noisy (wind noise) - the solution is one of those "mushroom" vents you see in office loos.
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/181.asp (11393, 18065, 11439)
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/180.asp (11416, 16363, 13623, 16369)
and duct tape of course...
Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Watts

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:05:54 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

That's useful, thank you. I'd wondered about wind noise - the main reason that I didn't want a closing vent flapping around - but had forgotten the mushroom type. Just one thing: is duct tape suitable for this application?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote:

Yes, indeed. All my joints are duct-taped, including the 1m of flexi.
Except for the elbow onto the ceiling vent, which was too fiddly, so I filled the joint with silicone.
--
Tim Watts

Duct tape is not suitable for duting, despite the name. Its often used, but tends to fall off after a while. http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Tape
One thing not yet mentioned: the nearer the loo the vent is, the quicker it clears the loo smell.
NT
PeterC wrote on Jan 8, 2012:

I fitted a 150 mm Vent-Axia in my slightly bigger bathroom (15 cu.m.) nearly 12 years ago. It was quite expensive but it's worked faultlessly ever since. It's a bit noisy but is powerful enough to clear the air in a few minutes, so doesn't have to be run for very long at a time.
It was money well spent, I'd say.
--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
On 08/01/2012 09:50, PeterC wrote:

I replaced an old Aidelle Loovent with a Manrose. Big mistake. It whizzes round quietly enough but takes forever to effect an air change
On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:47:49 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Is that an axial one? A centrif. should keep up to spec.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 08/01/2012 09:50, PeterC wrote:

TLC have a good range of fans & stuff.
My experience with Manrose has been very positive, very helpful company, good parts availability etc.

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 11:12:28 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

That's worth knowing, as after-sales service is important to me.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I've not had experience of the after sales service from Manrose but their pre-sales service was good and I'm satisfied with the 150mm axial fans that I installed. They can clear condensation and "organic smells" from the bathroom very quickly. They were installed using 150 mm single wall stainless flue through the wall which resulted in a tidy and clean job.
Steve Firth wrote:

Manrose make two types of fans.
A cheap one that will last just long enough for the installer to get into the van and bugger off before the fan fails and a Gold Range that has a 5 year warranty.
--
Adam

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:54:52 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth wrote:

If that happened too efficiently I wouldn't feel at home :-)

Sounds very neat. 150's probably too big for a small room; 100 should be enough.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote:

It would be normal to use a fixed grille in such places
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGWG4W.html

Of course any bathroom fan will only clear the steam after the bath or shower is over.

How long is the ducting going to be? The length and type of ducting makes the real difference as to how a fan performs.
And avoid this sort of thing
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGSF1.html
as they are shite.
I do have a core drill you can borrow if you want a wall mounted fan:-)
--
Adam

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 13:22:26 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

About 3m.

Yes, looks it. Any form of corrugated pipe or hose will reduce flow and increase noise, as I found out many years ago with CO2 and lN2.

Thanks, but the only useable wall faces SW - could get a bit breezy at times!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote:
I do have a core drill you can borrow if you want a wall mounted fan:-)

My vent is on a south facing soffit, but the vent louvres are angled towards the wall (you can install either way around) and being horizontal, I do not find any hint of draught, even with the gales we've just had. 5m of duct, 2 bends and a fan in the way seem to be enough to sort out the wind. However, when the fan is going, it moves quite a lot of air, judging by the significant blast that comes out of the exhaust vent.
It can "de-smelly" the bathroom in a few minutes after a significant No 2, prevents the hall getting smelly during same and almost completely keeps the condensation in check even with a steaming hot bath - though there can be a bit on the bog cistern of it's been flushed a couple of times and refilled with freezing cold water. This bathroom has no windows.
--
Tim Watts

What diameter? Having installed 3x150mm humidistat fans in bathrooms I'm quite impressed by the ability of a 150 mm core drill to stand still while I went round and round on the other end.
Steve Firth wrote:

:-)
I suppose it depends on the type of brick, the local g on your planet and your mass.
The toughest ever hole I have ever cut was into wet sandstone.
--
Adam

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:54:53 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth wrote:

"It's relative, you know". "Oh, absolutely!".
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 08/01/2012 15:54, Steve Firth wrote: