Timer delay for extractor fan

I have a fairly powerful extractor fan fitted in my bathroom ceiling however it has no overrun timer facility so that when I switch the light off, the fan immediately goes off. Anyone any ideas/recommendations for how I can add a suitable timer to it..... really need it to run for an extra 20 minutes or so. Have looked on Google but no success yet. Thanks Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Norfolk

It's one of those things that is easy to make if you have some electronics experience. Maplin do a kit which could be adapted to this use. However, at the end of the day it would probably be cheaper/easier to just replace the fan with one which has the timer built in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Geoff Norfolk writes

I used a humidistat to control mine.

Reply to
chris French

====================== Have a look at this. You may need to separate the fan switching from the light.

also do two versions - look for 'Columbus' or similar name.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Not so good for getting rid of stinky farts. :¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

I used a humidistat to control mine.

Actually I'm just about to swap an overrun timer model to one which has both overrun (needed cos it's an internal bathroom) as well as a humidistat, in an effort to try and control a general condensation problem.

I was wondering, what % humidity should I set the thing to? I'm sure it will want a bit of calibrating anyway, but a starting point would be useful. Also, it's for a property which I rent out, so I won't have too much opportunity to fine-tune it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Which one did you get? I'm looking for one with a 12 or 24V transformer output.

G.

Reply to
Gerd Busker

I had switch operation as well, though never found need to use it much.

Reply to
chris French

It's a Manrose (can't remember the model number of the top of my head; but it's a mains one).

David

Reply to
Lobster

> B&Q also do two versions - look for 'Columbus' or similar name.

I was in same situation as the OP recently & thought of same pneumatic timer switch (wickes have them cheaper at 9.99!). But I wasn't sure if you can still use them to break a more inductive load like a fan motor rather than just a light?

Reply to
keith