Hybrid Cars

Very interesting article about this flawed concept in Autocar this week including owner's views. Far too long to quote here - it's several pages - and it's not on the website. So anyone interested will just have to buy it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's nothing wrong with the concept, we just need better batteries.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Which are here. It is matter of getting production up and the price down.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This is the mag that said the Prius did 26mpg, according to the senile one, when everyone else gets 60 plus. 100s of reports say 60mpg plus but this says 26mpg. Wow, now they really are worth taking notice of, aren't they. Duh!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yup. Dragging all that dead wright about sure improves the thirst of that V6....

Reply to
Phil

'Any' battery that needs charging, unless charged environmentally friendlylyly simply moves the pollution / problem elsewhere .. hence 'flawed' ...

A hydrid car that only charges it's batteries via energy initially input from an IC engine (that should cover the 'regen braking' fans) is an IC engined powered car. If it's charged from the 'mains' (in the UK) then it's a gas / oil powered car ..

I own several (pure) electric vehicles and they are certianly not the solution to the problem. Hybrid'ing simply increases the range / performance it does not provide a solution (even with a 'synergy drive' ) or hasn't yet (when hybrids can do many more mpg than many 'stock' cars today then we might be getting somewhere).

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. How warm do you have to keep the garage for your hybrid / electric car in the winter (to reduce cold battery capacity loss ..) and where does that heating energy come from? ;-)

Reply to
T i m

AIUI the point is that it is (or can be) a more efficient IC engine powered car since the IC engine can always be run under the most fuel efficient conditions instead of being geared to the road wheels.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

One must not engage in botty talk.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yet, and that they do. The hybrid is regarded as a stop-gap before fuel cells come in. Battery technology have leaped and some Prius cars with larger battery packs are getting 130mpg. So, this may push the fuel cell cars back further. Then put on a super smooth and quiet Stirling engine instead of the IC and matters are even better. The best is yet to come.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Stop telling lies, dribble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only while there's some battery charge. Once that is exhausted, the petrol engine is effectively driving the wheels direct, but via a generator and electric motor or some form of split drive. Hence the poor consumption under those conditions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They keep on saying these have arrived. But the idea of using a petrol engine is purely for the US where there is a great resistance to deisel. No one makes a hybrid diesel because a plain diesel with the same performance is more fuel efficient.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

** snip senile botty talk **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

** snip lots of botty talk **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh, indeed, and there is no question that different transmissions have different efficiencies (and why a bicycle has 21 gears when it only (typically) has a top speed of 20 mph .. it's because the 'engine' is so low powered and has a restricted rev range?) 'and' that running IC (and other) engines at specific rev ranges / temperatures allows better efficiencies.

However, I believe, with all of the above, we are still 'w a y' off them providing much of an avantage, compared with the better end of todays more traditional offerings .. all things considered?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Correct they have. I have one. They are here definately.

** snip lots of senile botty talk **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

miles per gallon of what?

Reply to
Matt

There is much ill-informed botty talk above. A hell of a lot of it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Lord Hall, mpg of Multimasters. That you can probably understand.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bless .. Ok, I know your tricycle has 'direct drive' but you must accept (maybe once the medication has worn off) there is a real world out there. One that hasn't yet discovered perpetual motion or 130 mpg batteries .. ;-)

All the very best with your recovery ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m