Article about elm trees

Some of you may be interested in this article from today's NY Times about elm trees (yes, you need to register to read the article):

Roy Smith

Great article Roy, thanks for the link!

Reply to
Rumpty

Ditto, Roy. You can buy these Princeton Elms online at....

cheap, but a great tree. In my fantasy shop, I'll have about 50 acres on which I'll start to cultivate the trees that future genearations can use for to make beautiful furniture. How cool that would be. For us with less than solid belief in the afterlife, it would sure provide a comforting means to leave our mark for years to come.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

You want cheap? Just stop over my house and take the hundreds of pesky elm seedlings growing in our garden. Free. I wish you could take the whole tree while your at it, but I think it's illegal, endangered species and such.

Reply to
Mark Howell

Are they Princeton Elms? If so, I may just take you up on that offer!

JP

**************************** What tree would mature enough in 50 years to provide 12-14" by 30' logs for a home? SYP?
Reply to
Jay Pique

The Princeton Elms are reported to be very fast growing. It's a four year wait to get a 2 - 2.5 inch caliper tree from a CUTTING according to the nurseryman. I didn't ask what the 2 inch trees cost; you have to buy them in quantity 25 or more. A 2 year old 6 foot tree is about $125 (each) including shipping to most of the US.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

I don't know, the mother tree has a 4ft diameter trunk, I don't know how old it is. But it's very healthy. I live 12 miles from Princeton, could very well have come from there.

Reply to
Mark Howell