Hybrid Cars

SNIP

When it was in existence the CEGB used to produce a year book with a great deal of valuable analysis figures for the UK generation and grid capacity.

Is there a similar publication presently available as a central information source?

Reply to
John

Was this the fluid bed combustion system which I vaguely recall reading something about at one time?

Reply to
John

It was very true though.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So what if it was? uk.politics.? is over there -->

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Safety personnel are exempt from the strike.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It wasn't my quote. I know the facts are wrong which is why I asked Pete to check his sources. At a guess we paid for it through illegal government payments to a Tory Party disownable propaganda organisation.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Yes, now sadly siezed by the Yanks as "invented there"

Reply to
Matt

Maybe the benefits of coal being mined in the country will be seen again, long term disruption of the gas import routes might wake someone up to a the benefits of a diverse energy policy not reliant on tinpot overseas regimes. I can't ever see the playstation generation square eyed zombies going underground though. More likely we will end up something a bit more high tech with controlled underground burning/gasification.

Reply to
Matt

That would probably be the Electricity Association (EA) Yearbooks, although the CEGB did have a great input into them. I'm not aware of any public source of this information other than the highly fragmented and filtered stuff that comes out of Ofgem or National Grid.

Reply to
Matt

Damn good question.

However when Blair buys our new nukes (whether we want them or not) they're almost certain to be obsolete PWRs from his American friends.

We should have developed pebble bed reactors years ago.

The Germans should have continued developing them, after Julich.

_Europe_ should see their collaborative development as one of its major communal priorities.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The overall efficiency is improved too, for short journeys in typical dense urban traffic. I'm not claiming that pure batteries are particularly useful (given our current geenration technologies) or that they're a solution for long-haul motorway driving.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , dennis@home writes

Being stupid is Drivel's raison d'être.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Matt writes

I think it will, it's a matter of economics. Imported gas and coal will rise in price to the point that it becomes economic to re-open our coalfields, even if the power stations have to have emission scrubbers installed.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's obvious if you look at the little ">" characters on the LHS.

Exactly. Do you *ever* contribute anything useful and relevant?

FU set.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Unfortunately I think you might be right about Blair, although he'd probably be better off approaching the Chinks or South Africans (the Yanks are researching, too).

Continue in alt.energy.nuclear?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Mike Tomlinson contains these words:

Don't forget that one of the reasons for the decline in coal generation and the 'dash for gas' is the lesser quantity of CO2 produced for the same energy output. Coal is not going to make a come-back until the better options are exhausted.

Reply to
Roger

Did you see the 'Mat' cartoon on yesterday's Telegraph? It depicted a couple standing in the garden of their isolated detached house with the wife(?) saying;- 'I'm really glad you opposed that 'Wind Farm' proposal, it'd have spoilt the view" - But, the house is overshadowed by a n-ginormous and adjacent Nuclear Power Station.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Mr My Arse, my arse!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Otto Frisch got there first with his short story - well worth reading:

John Cartmell

Perhaps. But I'd say it wasn't anywhere near top of the agenda. Gas *was* just so much cheaper.

Yup. Of course if gas prices continue to rise this might be sooner rather than later...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)