Hybrid Cars

They have been here a while the Natuiral snot said...and it is improving:

Toshiba battey can be charged to 80% in few minutes.

You really don't know Lord Hal, You really don't know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Has Richard Cranium had a brainwave? We shall see

IC engines waste 70% of the energy stored in the tank. I wonder if he knew that. Nah, he never.

Nope. And no pollution at point of use.

Batteries have changed and the New Toshiba is different again.

Nope, mass production brings the price down. Boy is he dumb!

Richard Cranium is now telling us of his extensive knowledge of this topic. Duh!

Do they fiddle the gas meter as well?

Yes, they way all cars should be made. And he thinks that is fiddling. Boy is he dumb.

Good engineering.

Yes, a standard car. What else? Duh!

You tried? And of course failed miserably.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

and the point to electric cars is? Nothing of course, just scatter brained ramblings.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What is Richard Cranium on about? We shall see...

Is this from the mag that said a Prius averaged 26mpg? Some reliable mage eh? What bunkum.

** snip drivel by Richard about silly cars **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Both the BMW and Honda units that are around 100 bhp/ltr happily run on 95 octane. And are perfectly happy with town use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

** snip senil garbage totally unrelated to electric cars **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But the F1 cars at 250bhp per liter are not.

I am not saying that 100bhp per liter is some kind of magic limit, but tyou need VVTor chargers to get it. That knocks fuel efficiency out a bit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

getting more than 100bhp per liter compromises other factors that are important in production cars.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well see my new thread - I am keeping drivel plonked. He is doing the electric car a disservice by spouting nonsense. I would rather engage in some serious discussion with some kind of factual baisis.

I repeat, read it and see what an electric car with lithium batteries is already capable of, follow the calculations of what it could be capable of, and come back.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How do you know if you have me plonked?

I have already told you that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Can't read the subject, moron? The efficiency of an IC unit is important in a hybrid car. And a higher BHP per litre *might* make that unit lighter. Of course Toyota soon realised their mistake in using a stirling cycle unit. Latest models from them use a V-6.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't understand what combined cycle means? No surprise there. It's not calculated by any magazine. It's an official figure given as a means of comparison.

BTW it's nonsense to say the Prius managed 26 mpg overall. It was 23 mpg. Perfectly dreadful. Many 'gas guzzlers' did better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nor are they road legal, so I'm not quite sure what the point is?

Quite the contrary. Variable valve timing raises efficiency and allows good manners at low speeds. And more sophisticated variations which get rid of the throttle on petrol engines will raise efficiency further.

Superchargers on the other hand always waste fuel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SNIP

Which is why the concept of standby with boilers simmering at full pressure was developed (or even spinning reserve where the turbines are fed with just enough steam to meet the system losses).

BTW the pulverised fuel boilers in a power station bear very little resemblance to the conventional cylindrical package boiler so common in industry.

Reply to
John

SNIP

Is this the same China that was touted on TV a short while ago as building four/five Coal fired power stations each the size of Drax over the next ten years?

Reply to
John

** snip senile garbage **

Sad but true.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

AFAIK there's only one China in the world. What are you getting at?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No reason why not, that sounds half way to a balanced energy policy.

If it wasn't for Thatcher pulling the plug on (at the time very advanced) UK clean coal research after kicking the crap out of the miners then we could still be sitting on generous UK controlled gas reserves, burning a sensible balance of coal in a new generation of clean coal power stations while profitably exporting similar technology all over the world (maybe even to China) thus providing real jobs in the UK, funding an even better NHS, better schools, a few thousand wind turbines, a couple of tidal barrages and maybe a few nukes. But no, the bitch was not for turning - (I reckon a couple of hours at the stake might have changed her)

Instead we have a glorified call centre economy, all the gas has been exported and pissed away, the mining industry is non existent, the lights are about to go out and the government is borrowing again.

Thatcher's Britain, the legacy lives on - but at least they might be slapping some croc clip electrodes on her old buddy Pinochet's knackers very soon.

Reply to
Matt

Lord Hall, the woman was filth, that is clear. She cut the nose of the UK for spite because she hated unions. It is all coming back to haunt us. We could be having clean burning coal power stations and miner bands still playing too. She was wicked, clearly wicked.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OK a minute or two which is about 60-120 seconds in the context of power generation that is a few.

Anyway its only 280Mw so its pretty small.

There is a full review of them here

FWIW.

Reply to
dennis