Hybrid Cars

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

Ahh, it doesn't surprise me that you have faith in surveys John, I had the Espace for 2 years and the only thing that went wrong with it was a rock through the oil cooler, it was easily the most satisfying and versatile "car" I have ever owned. I would have another one in a shot but lifestyle doesn't support that choice at the moment. I am not a great believer in surveys, they produce statistics and you can make statistics do anything you like.. I have noticed that you use them when it suits you but totally ignore them when they don't.

just a thought

Reply to
David

Where did the Prius come, dribble?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was 150 mpg only a few days back.

They average about 40 mpg if used normally. Get used to it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did say that they use electricity that is currently generated by Fossil Fuels, that can be changed if there is sufficient will ... fuel cells, wind, hydro, agropower etc.

Methane does not have to be from Fossil fuel .... ever visited a farm yard ?

Reply to
Rick

I doubt it even got a look in, since they sell in tiny numbers.

Topgear magazine did have a long term test prius they just got shot of though. Some bits from their final report on it:

"It's time to say farewell to our long-term Prius. It's been here for a year with no mechanical faults whatsoever, and has proved to be frugal, low-emission, comfortable transportation. On the downside, it was never thrilling to drive.

But the TG office has proved I think that it isn't composed purely of hardcore speed nutters; the Prius has been generally liked for its eco-friendly nature and, perhaps, its novelty.

On the open road it'll average 50-55mpg. In cold weather, though,keeping the aircon on high brings the car's efficiency from around 44mpg in town to 34mpg.

Trying to turn off the aircon to save fuel meant that the inside steamed up badly - and I couldn't clear it with the normal heating."

"As long as you've no ambitions to be a boy/girl racer, the Prius is comfy, pleasant enough to drive, practical for a small family and even quite handsome. Plus you don't pay the Congestion Charge which, as such schemes spread, will be great selling point. "

Reply to
John Rumm

No it isn't. Where in the grid is this device that wastes the electricity? They may waste fuel keeping the stations online but they don't waste electricity.

Quite a lot of peak demand is supplied by stored water generation (inside welsh moutains) and by gas turbines which spin up in a few seconds.

That's what I said.

Reply to
dennis

,

Bertie, I'm sure you did think that, but you are about the only one who has then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So far ahead it is out of sight.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard, or is it Archie the inventor, the California one did.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The common room at Richard Craniums home.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:36:52 -0000, "Doctor Drivel" wittered as usual:

No idea, do your own research I can't be arsed. As you drive around in your glorified washing machine ponder the fact that with forced induction and toxic jungle juice they were getting around 1500bhp out of a 1.5 litre back in the 1980's.

The Passat, like all mass market vehicles on sale today meets the latest EU4 emission regulations: 749 mile range, 0-62 in 9.8 seconds,

130mph and a combined cycle mpg of 48.7. On finding out these facts the devastated Toyota Prius designer has just picked up his sword as the words "game over" flashed in front of his eyes.
Reply to
Matt

The Prius averages 60mpg, and doesn't

Yes, it pollutes as soon as the engine is forced to take over after (even in 'electric only' mode (assuming there is such a thing)) the battery charge drops too far .. and how many miles 'out of town' would that be again Drivel .. 3 was it?

Like I said at the beginning .. the Prius is an IC car with a big starter motor ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, SOME peak demand is supplied by pumped storage schemes

That has not been the practice in the UK for about 30 years, they didn't even run during the miners strike in the 80's

Reply to
Matt

So not suitable for our friend, Basildon Bond, then......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thats what I said. Quite a lot and SOME have the same meaning.

That's odd, they built the one three miles from me since then.

Reply to
dennis

Lord Hall, but you were saying 1600s produce more BHP than the QE2.

Does that mean a 1600cc today can drive a tanker?

Lord Hall, you are clearly mad. The Prius averages 60mpg, and doesn't pollute like hell in towns.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I said: "The Prius averages 60mpg, and doesn't pollute like hell in towns." That is very clear.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maybe they could do an enhanced version with free velvet jacket and a cravat.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, they will not routinely use the pumped storage capacity for peak demand because if a conventional generator is lost or there is an overhead line circuit fault the system could quite rapidly become unstable. Some peak demand is met by pumped storage but "quite a lot" would be very severely overstating the case.

For instance, maybe like today, on a typical winter day with plenty of spare conventional capacity declared available (no constraints) the contribution from pumped storage at peak would be NIL (remembering that like every day there will still be a peak demand that is way in excess of the minimum demand). On unexpected loss of say 500MW of generation 30 minutes before a peak then pumped storage generation may be rescheduled to be 200MW, the rest being achieved by picking up load earlier on other conventional plant, some of the remainder of the pumped generation may be spinning in air so that loading can be rapidly achieved, but it won't generate beyond this because of the increased costs associated with pumped storage. Basically if demand can be easily met by conventional plant then it will. The huge peaks so often referred to in publicity blub are in reality a few times a decade occurance (football/burying royals etc)

No, the last gas turbines added to the UK system would have been at Torness in around 1988 and Sizewell B in 1996, neither are fuelled by gas but can run up to be on load in around 2 minutes. A gas turbine in any historical sense related to the UK power industry was always fuelled by gas oil, a heavier fraction than aviation fuel, and never, ever by gas. So unless you live next to those two nuclear sites what they will have actually built near you is a combined cycle gas fired station which CANNOT be loaded in anything like a "few seconds"

Reply to
Matt

So you didn't read or understand John Rumm's post? From the same Top Gear you've just quoted?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)