Hybrid Cars

Its just too early in the morning for me to think about something like that let me get some coffee first.

Reply to
monkey2231

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

So? it works for me (a bit like your electronic descaler John) I'm not a sheep, I make my own decisions, don't follow the crowd and don't take too much notice of surveys.

Reply to
David

A shame isn't it. He is psychedelic you know.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

*** snip drivel drivvilings ***
Reply to
T i m

Is two shifting of steam turbine power stations not practiced anymore? Gas turbine machines run up and load very quickly and are not normally operated at part load.

There is a cost attached to two shifting but the cost is much less than maintaining a machine on 'spinning reserve'. Nuclear plants are base load and cannot be 'two shifted'.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

As did my ex Boss who ran one as a Support Manager / Engineer and as a family utility vehicle. Did over 100k miles in a few years with little attention.

So that's two happy Espace owners .. same as the number of members in the Prius owners club. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Bertie, my descaler does work, that is for sure.

You sound like a fine upstanding citizen Bertie.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

About the only two then.

Timmy baby you jest of course. I like people who have fun.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well, there aren't that many about now but there are loads of MPV's for which the were the forerunner ..

Do I hip daddy-o .. ?

That's good .. shame you have to watch them from behind the counter or through the widows of a Prius?

All the best ..

Timmy

Reply to
T i m

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I can see why.

Or via a CRT tube. Watching the madness is best. Richard Cranium is a medical book all by himself.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ooops .. pressed the wrong button did we? Can't get to the keyboard for Prius brochures maybe?

Timmy ..

Reply to
T i m

I don't think you can. You see .. that type of vehicle has evolved into the MPV .. and 'ordinary' cars are so cheap folk buy new ones. Well some do and thank goodness as I can then buy their old ones ;-)

A 'cathode ray tube tube' ..?

They let you have a mirror then (probably perspex)? Like a budgie, probably keeps you amused for hours .. pulling all those faces as you imagine whizziing along in yer non polluting, perpetual motion powered Prius .. especially comforted in the fact that theres not a gear in use nor some silly (complicated to use and 1 tonne) box to store them in. ;-)

I'm not sure you are the right person to judge the medical condition of others .. and remember, there *may* even be salvation for you ... just try saying these words .. (go on .. you *can* do it) ..

"My name is Drivel and I'm clinically insane" ..

All the best ..

Timmy

Reply to
T i m

So I take it you don't know what CRT stands for as so much else? Hint. The 'T' stands for tube. I suppose you talk about PAT testing too. Not that you'd have clue about that either...

A fictional person is a medical book? Ask your consultant at the clinic to help you understand what this means.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So OK, lets say you do use fuel cells to produce electricity for your hydrogen plant - that's great because those fuel cells are nice clean devices converting hydrogen (and oxygen) into water and energy. Oh, hang on, I guess you need to get your hydrogen from somewhere... that's OK, you have a hydrogen plant... which takes more electricity than your fuel cell can produce!

The only way this picture can work for producing usable electricity is if you can get a fuel cell that runs at greater than 100% efficiency!

Reply to
Matt Beard

As I said, watching the madness is best.

As I said, watching the madness is best.

As I said, watching the madness is best. Madness is easy to spot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

** snip senile drivel **

Richard, you are a full study in your own right.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Dribble dribbles:

*Sometimes*

But seldom by those suffering illness themselves?

Again .. "My name is Drivel and I'm clinically insane"

All the best ..

Timmy

Reply to
T i m

So that's a no then?. It means cathode ray tube. There now. You've learnt something. Write it down so you don't forget.

You seem to have a sudden fascination with books. Has your nurse confiscated your colouring pencil for drawing on the walls?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would say that I am not far out. IC engines in traffic are probably only about 15% effeicint. You can buodl a car lighter without te engine...that reduces usage more. Regen braking can up the efficiency even more. Its a chanllenge, but its not far out.

Grid ekectricity varies from about 40% to as high as 60% or more in some condenser equipped sets. That's generation. I think the grid is around 90% effeicient overall.

Batteries hat I use are not bad efficiency wise.If charged slowly and discharged slowly (and vehicle requiremenst are slow by model aircraft standards) the I^R losses are realy wuite low, and te batterues should get warm. I'd tentatively say 95% over a charge/discharge cycle.

You are way out. - say 50% at teh power station, with 90% on the grid and

90% on te battery and 90% on the motor.

I make that about 36,5%. Way better than an IC engine in a car operating over a wide range of speeds and conditions - remember that a cold petrol engine is deliberately flooded with fuel to get it to start at all, and on short journeys may never get fully warm. Those sorts of short journeys are where an all electric car really scores.

Sure, its possible to approach 30% on an IC engine under optimal conditions pf steady throttlle etc - like a marine diesel for example - but not in a car, no.

If you take the nuclear/wind opution out of the frame I still think there is overall benefit in energy useage.

Its certainly no WORSE that hydrogen as intermediate storage ...

Ad we HAVE a grid already. We don't need to start from scratch with a new fuel distribution setup.

The only real step is tehbattery technology, but that is in existence, it needs development, but the theoretical figures justify that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher