bathroom extractor fan

I'm planning to fit a bathroom extractor fan, i currently have a high level air brick/vent in the wall with a grill over it. Is there a proprietry kit that will either let me fit a fan into a say half of a grill & retain some of the natural free ventilation, or a grill that will take a fan completely?

Is there anything particularly wrong with using the existing vent? presumably an electric fan will give far greater air flow than the vent ever did, & save me bashing holes through etc.

Reply to
Jed Spud

Not that I've ever seen. If they are out there they'll be pricey, standard fans are only about £20.

Yep, got it in one. You'll need to line the existing duct though with a pipe for the new fan. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

What would the lining entail? normal ducting pipe, or something box like with an adapter, to fill the void & then connect a fan onto?

Reply to
Jed Spud

I did this - I took the grille off, made up a wooden plate (painted mdf - sorry!) to fit over the exisiting hole which then supports a surface mounted bathroom extractor fan. If you don't fit a self closing louvre on the outside then you shouldn't significantly impede normal ventilation.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:54:38 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "Jed Spud" strung together this:

A piece of soil pipe or similar 100mm round pipe. Wickes have ducting kits, and I seem to remember seeing it by the metre. You'll have to fill the remaining area in the existing vent duct yourself. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

thanks, thats the sort of idea i've got, i didn't know if still having some free ventilation would reduce the efficiency of the fan, i don't want to just blow air around the vent, but looking on vent axia website they seem to do some sort of fitment for single/double airbricks that may work, although a home made plate sounds easier ££.

Reply to
Jed Spud