Baxi RF room thermostat eating up batteries .....

Hi folks,

I would appreciate some help with a heating problem I have!

Over the past year I've had to change the batteries on my Baxi RF room ther mostat with increasing frequency. At first I assumed the batteries I was us ing were duff (having got quite a stock of them in a cupboard), but I bough t new ones and checked they were fully charged and still after about 3 week s the heating started coming on despite being turned off, and the 'low batt ery' light started flashing on the RF receiver. I spoke to Baxi and they we ren't that helpful in explaining what the problem is -'it's broken, you nee d to get a new one' - so wondered if anyone here might know what's gone wro ng and if it's repairable, and, assuming it isn't, do I have to get a new B axi thermostat (which is expensive) or can I go for a cheaper unit made by someone else?. The Baxi one I've got is only 5 years old, so I'm not especi ally impressed by their quality...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Mark

Reply to
piano4tay

What type of battery? Rechargeables are not suitable for this application, they self discharge rather quickly and the terminal voltage is lower than alkalines.

I'd be very surprised if any other makers transmitter will work with the Baxi reciever. Unless you can find out whose kit Baxi have put their brand on...

It should be possible to replace both Tx and Rx though. I'm happy with the Danfoss TP7000, others will rave about a Honeywell. A full replacement isn't going to be that cheap.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1 Also voltage is only 1.2 compared to 1.5 from a non-rechargable.
Reply to
DerbyBorn

No i'm not using rechargeables....'Duracell Ultrapower', which afaik are most powerful I can find...Strangely, they still show about 1/3 full (using the gauge on them) after the unit has given up....In the past I'm sure they've lasted more than a year.....

Thanks for the input anyway!

Mark

Reply to
piano4tay

Could be a software problem - I think they should transmit for a few seconds every minute - at least not continuously. Not sure if the Receiver "asks" for an update - or if the transmitter just sends one every so often.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

Receivers can't ask, its transmitters that do the talking;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't buy a Drayton Digistat +2. When the battery went flat it went into a mode which called for heating. The indicator showing the battery was flat o r going flat was almost impossible to see. A couple of times we got home to find the house very warm and the boiler trying to make it even hotter. It got replaced by a Horstmann HRFS1

Reply to
Kevin H

I've had exactly the same experience with the Baxi...it's what alerted me t o the problem in the first place, coming home to a steaming house in the mi ddle of summer!...At the moment I'm trying to decide whether replacing the batteries every 3-4 weeks may not be a cheaper option than replacing the wh ole thermostat unit....

Reply to
piano4tay