Wireless thermostat that doesn't need mains wiring?

Bought this

from Screwfix at = the weekend, after taking a look behind my existing Drayton Digistat 3 ther= mostat and discovering it is only wired with a live / switched live (there = is another connection taped up behind in the cavity, presumably from the ol= d mecahnical style thermostat which would have needed permanent "flow" (?) = for the small heating element.

The Screwfix site helpfully suggested "2-wire installation" which sounded j= ust like the 2 wires I had.

Unfortunately, it seems it needs a live / neutral for the receiver itself, = as well as the live / switched live (and neutral, not sure?) for the commun= ication with the boiler too.

I can conceive in my mind a set up which has a receiver powered by a re-cha= rgeable battery which re-charges only when the switched live is initiated b= y the temperature sensor, but just because I can imagine it doesn't mean a)= it exists or b) it would be feasible.

Are there any wireless thermostat solutions which would, without additional= wiring / cabling, allow me to do a straight swap from my Drayton Digistat =

3 with the above described cabling?

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Why not put the receiver next to the boiler where there will presumably be mains available. The old thermostat cabling would be redundant afterwards.

Reply to
RobertL

from Screwfix at the weekend, after taking a look behind my existing

I think Screwfix have made a c*ck up. From memory the Rev24RF is wireless (well not the receiver) and the Rev24 is the two wire non RF version and is battery operated (the battery opens and closes the relay between the two wires just like your Drayton).

Reply to
ARW

Sounds a valid reason for a return then too! Glad it wasn't just me being a numpty when reading it.

However, assuming I can get power to the stat, I reckon I might be able to make this work anyway as I've now got a better understanding of what I need to do.

In simple terms, the current stat has a live and switched live (as well as a redundant neutral).

The live and switched live will wire to the appropriate terminals on the new rf receiver.

I also need a pair of live / neutral to power the receiver - I can get this from the fused spur which feeds the boiler in the first place.

Trivial really!!

Matt

Reply to
larkim