Need help with Hive

I have just installed Hive and after some messing around managed to get eve rything talking to each other. The only problem is the boiler will not fire , the receiver is showing all green lights showing it is working but the bo iler refuses to fire except when there is DHW demand.

On the boiler - a Worcester a Junior 28i Combi - there are only three termi nals Ls - live supply, Ns - Neutral supply and Lr - or switched live from t he thermostat. On the Hive receiver I have L & N connected to terminals N & L respectively and the switched live connected to terminal 3 - Heating On (NO). Terminals 1&2 must be right as the status lights would not be on so t hat leaves the switched live which could be wrong. The remaining terminals in the receiver are 1 - common and 2 - Heating off (NC)

Have I got the wiring wrong? Will I do any damage swapping connections roun d, the guys on the Hive live chat have not been any use referring me back t o the wiring diagrams.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The first thing that comes to mind is that COM - NC - NO refers to (so called) volt free relay contacts, and you need to link the Ls to the COM to make it work.

Reply to
Graham.

From your description, I'm assume that you've got the single channel (heating only) rather than dual channel (heating + hot water) receiver.

The single channel receiver works in a different way from the dual channel jobbie.

The L&N are purely to power the receiver. The switch is what is usually called "voltage free" and can be used to switch anything you like - including low voltage stuff. It's a changeover switch, in which COM is connected to NC in the off position and to NO when on. So the boiler won't see anything from NO unless you supply power to COM.

So all you need to do is provide a link from L to COM, and all will be well.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks Graham and Roger, I had just come that conclusion myself and was abo ut to post an update. I rewired my original programmable thermostat back an d everything was hunky dory. It gave me an opportunity to spot a small circ uit diagram on the back of the receiver and you are right terminal 1 is the common for a changeover switch between terminals 2 & 3 and as such is not wired to anything and will require a link between it and Ls. That's tomorro w's task now.

Thanks again for the quick responses. I have previously wired heating and w ater programmers using the common backplate and have never had to provide l inks only L & N and just assumed it was the same. As you say on this L & N only provide power to the electronics. I will confirm the results tomorrow.

The Hive manuals do not have any wiring diagrams neither does the website t o which I was referred to by the guys at the live chat service. I get the i mpression it's all about drumming up custom for BG even though a bit more i nfo would enable anyone with a bit of ability to do the installation.

Thanks again Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes, the Hive installation manuals are not very good. They show the use of each terminal on their receivers, but don't have any overall system diagrams showing connections to the outside world.

Unlike the heating receiver, the Heating+Water receiver (which I have)

*does* have internal links from L to COM on the 2 relays, and can't be used for non-mains switching applications. It took me a lot of digging to sort out what was what before I bought mine.
Reply to
Roger Mills

I can confirm that a connection between L and terminal 1 - Common was all t hat was needed to get things going correctly. Hive is now responding to com mands from the app and all that remains is to get to grips with the app and set up some schedules.

Thanks again Graham and Roger, it's a pity BG in their installation manual could not provide the information a simple wiring diagram would have done. It was by chance I spotted the tiny wiring diagram on the back of the recei ver and realised the changeover switch was isolated. Even a reference in th e install manual pointing out the diagram would have helped, then again if you are trying to drum up some business keeping a few things a bit of a mys tery helps.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky