motion detector on bathroom fan

I'm looking for a device that will allow my bathroom fan to automatically turn on when someone enters the shower/toilet section of my bathroom. I tried a light switch motion detector but It didn't work properly. Is there such a device??

Reply to
dk

IR emitter, detector, and a bunch of reflectors.

Reply to
Goedjn

Take a look at the X10 devices available at shops like smarthome.com. That should work.

Reply to
trader4

The commerical product is called an occupancy sensor and they are typically installed in building bathrooms to turn on the lights and fan and save energy.

Well stocked electrical supply stores have them or Google "Occupancy Sensor".

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

I have used X10 motion sensors, and found them unsuitable except in VERY simple systems. They send too many X10 commands (repeatedly when motion is present, and don't forget the time-delayed OFF commands). These cause a large number of X10 collisions.

You may get this to work if you use NO OTHER X10 devices.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And what happens when an X10 hits an X-15?

mm

You get an X-25??

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I have experimented on this.

Those 180 degree motion sensor wall switch do not work well as they are intended for incandescent lamps.

I ended up using the following:

- humidistat switch (turns on the fan automatically with humidity). (available in rona)

- rotary 'twist' timer. (for 'twist and forget method' of turning the fan on for a while )

works well. Kids have no trouble twisting the switch. i.e. they don't have to go back and turn off the fan. And when they shower, they have no choice the fan will turn on on its own.

The two switches above connected in parallel, replacing the orignal fan switch.

gerryc

dk wrote:

Reply to
Skyhawk

Broan makes a fan with a built-in motion detector.

You could also try installing a ceiling motion sensor to activate your existing fan.

Reply to
John Grabowski