Cleaning Water Dispenser on Fridge.

Hi,

I've got a fridge with a water dispenser which hasn't been used for quite a while, not I've gone on a bit of a health kick, I thought I'd start using it again. However, whenever it's used the water is full of particles/floating things! I guess the pipes need cleaning as they'd been standing for a couple of years, all plumbed in just not used. I've tried running loads of water through, this has made it better, but not to a standard I'd actually drink!

The ice maker has been in use continuously, and that is fine, I filled a glass with ice and let it evaporate, no nasties were seen!

So, any thoughts on how to get the pipes clean?

Cheers

Mat

Reply to
Mat C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mat C" saying something like:

Test tube cleaners or similar - you know the type of thing, bristles twisted on a wire, available in all sorts of flexibility. If the pipework is too twisty, can you disconnect it and fill it with a solution of sodium hydroxide /borax / bleach?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

When I had a boat the fresh water tank tended to get gunged up, I found bicarb a good solution (pun unintended. Mind you there were no convoluted pipes to worry about, just one about 22mm diameter.

Reply to
Broadback

Denture cleaning tablets?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When the children were little we had a bottle of Milton's (1% Sodium Hypochlorate), and we used a dilute solution of it for many years after for cleaning and desmellifying bottles, flasks,food containers and the like.

Owen

Reply to
OG

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the trick I think is going to be getting the cleaning stuff down the tube. There's a decent length of piping leading to the outlet, which goes around in a large loop a number of times at the back of the fridge, to cool the water. The only way I can thing to get this stuff in would be with a syringe.. Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Mat

Reply to
Mat C

I'd second Owen's Milton suggestion - It's the recommended way of cleaning things like camelbak water bladders. Of course, if it's scale-type stuff, you might be better off with something acid like vinegar - maybe each of them in turn would do a job. Whatever you use, if you fill the reservoir, then run enough through, won't it fill the tubes/loops so it can be left there for a bit to do its job?

Reply to
GMM

I think it's a plumbed in fridge. No reservoir.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

If you have a pub nearby that you visit enough to be known as a regular ask if they can let you have a drop of the beer line cleaner. Gives you an excuse to go down the Pub. If that is not an option then a baby bottle steriliser such as Milton may work. Boat Chandlers and and Caravan supply shops will often have products designed for potable pipe cleaning as well.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Pump up Garden sprayer that has Not been used for noxous substances or has been very well cleaned if it has. G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A dollop of household bleach is just as effective.

Reply to
<me9

May I ask whether you ever cleaned the dispenser......in a similar position myself and wondering what to do..

Reply to
EMD

On the anniversary of the Battle of Gettysberg....

Reply to
ARW

Was that when the original post was made then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Possibly

Reply to
ARW

No, it was only in 2010.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There are probably Tick-Tock millionaires now who weren't even born in 2010.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname