[SOLVED] Underwear flushed down the toilet. What should you do next (2023 Update)

My Sons underwear just got flushed down the toilet.( he's new to being potty trained and thought cleaning in the toilet, then flushing was ok) they actually flushed and the water went down, then filled as normal but, I'm afraid if we flush the toilet again it will clog and overflow. What should I do?

Reply to
Kelly

replying to Kelly, Iggy wrote: Flush a few more times and then drain a filled tub. The toilet's the choke-point and they made it through that, the soil pipe to the sewer is bigger. Flush it out to the sewer before it can catch anything and become a clog. You'll be fine, but you just need to make sure your pipes are clear of the debris.

Reply to
Iggy

Relax. Kiddie's underwear most often will go through the sytem without any problem. Not to say it's a good idea to dispose of them that way -

- -.

Reply to
clare

replying to Kelly, Jeff wrote: Most toilets can easily dispose of kid's underwear. So long as the flush forces them through the trap, they're on their way. I know from experience as my youngest Son saw a week's worth of folded Jockey briefs belonging to his older Brother up on the vanity. Figuring the underwear was dirty, he decided to clean up the boy's bathroom by flushing them away down the toilet. Why he didn't just toss them in the wastebasket next to the toilet beats me, it would have been a faster way to do away with the underwear. It's the type with the foot pedal so one press the lid pops up, dump them in and the lid drops and they're gone. Or, even more resourceful might have been to dispose of them via the Diaper Genie we have in the bathroom. Had he done that I don't think we would have ever known what happened to those briefs. But, like your little guy, he assessed the toilet as the preferred disposal method. And it worked! They all flushed down no problem. I'd just have been curious to see this go down, wondering if he took the time to drop in one pair at a time to watch it get flushed before moving on to the next, or if he just dumped the whole load of his Brother's briefs in the bowl all at once and flushed the whole load down together. Despite the small size of these Jockey's, it had to take quite a few flushes before the toilet sucked them all down. So, while I'd recommend the wastebasket, no worries your toilet can easily flush your Son's brief.

Reply to
Jeff

Same problem here except I can't blame my Son. Came back in from a run, piled my t-shirt, socks and undies atop the toilet tank on my way to the shower. Once done, I took a leak, flushed and grabbed my sweaty clothes off the toilet headed for the laundry. As I did, my Jockey brief dropped off the bottom of the pile into the flushing toilet. I instinctively went to grab it but it flushed down too fast for me to grab. I've read here some toilets destroying kid's undies, but I was surprised to see how easily the toilet did away with my Jockey brief. I figured no prob, I've got more and moved on. Became a problem that night when I next used the toilet and it barely flushed. At that point I realized, my brief got easily sucked in but hadn't made it all the way out to the sewer line yet. Once there, it's history, the pipe diameter jumps and the sewer line will easily transport it to it's final demise. I just had to retrieve it or force it toward the sewer for disposal. I know most people here would use a snake to snag it and pull it back. Truth is, I didn't want that pair back any more. Figured, they're never gonna be white again and knowing the snake's hook is gonna put a gaping hole in them, they'd just end up in the trash can if I got them back anyway, I used something called a pipe blaster. It's a high pressure device you can get from the hardware store that pushed them on through. Worked perfectly first time through, toilet flushed again and those Jockey's were on their way never to be seen again.

Reply to
Jtellerson

The lesson here is to just wait and pee in the shower.

Reply to
Ed P

On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:10:01 -0400, Ed P posted for all of us to digest...

Good one Ed

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz