Well - done

Installers just left. Drilling and casing yesterday took less than 5 hours. Not sure of depth, maybe 160 ft, but recovery rate is about 25 gpm which is great.
Today we were without water for about 6 hours for installation of pump trenching and hook up and replacement of old water tank. They have to come back in good weather to finish raking and grading and straw and I guess seed. Have yet to see bill. They could not salvage the new pump that plumber put in.
Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week when chlorine is run out. Digger said just because new well is less than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same. I just hope it does not need treatment. Some neighbors do and a few only drink bottled water.
On 2/7/2019 3:37 PM, Frank wrote:

Good flow rate. Wells often have advantages if you have good water and no treatment needed. Before I added filters in my CT house we used to fill jugs from a friend's well for drinking. So far, the water here has been good.
Water and sewer will cost about $800 a year. Our sewer rate is much higher than what we pay for water. Water last month was $18, sewer was $41. Trash collection was $14 for twice a week pickup.

twice per week ! ? garbage. We're once every 2 weeks ... John T.
--- ---
On 2/7/2019 4:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I was surprised at that. Recycles once a week but regular trash is Tuesday and Friday. You can put out one large item too, like a sofa or mattress, or two tires.
Normally, we have a bag a week for the two of us so not a big deal.
On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 16:38:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks
On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 8:35:42 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

A stinky way of doing things, clearly backwards. What's wrong with Trudeau and you Canadians?
alt.home.repair:

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a week, especially in the summer.
On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 13:58:17 -0500, Nil

Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no "smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin cans, and plastic is "blue box"
Works out pretty good even in 90F humid summer - although 2x per week for the green box wouldn't hurt. Some people keep a bag in the freezer and toss the "cube" on pickup day.

The ironic thing is I bet most of the green box stuff ends up in the same landfill as the blue box. Since China stopped taking our recycle they don't have much else to do with most of it. Metal still has some value but the typical unsorted paper and glass is useless and they really only recycle #1 & #2 plastic. Where we are, the most useful thing to do with it is burn it in a waste to energy plant.
On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 15:24:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, all of our "green box" goes to a composting facility. Some also goes to a biogas plant. The blue box stuff gets sorted and some DOES end up in landfill, but very little. Metals are all recycled. Glass and plastics are a bit more problematic. Waterloo Region was the "home" of bluebox recycling.

OK I misunderstood. I thought green was recycle and blue was trash (everything else). There is no compost here unless you are talking about horticulture waste and they don't know what to do with all they get now. They try to make mulch out of it but they can't even give it away. There is about a half million cubic yards piled up since the summer of 17 and air pollution rules won't even let them burn it.
On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 21:58:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Put "lawn and garden waste" is mulched - and used extensively in the walking trail system as well as being made available free for homeowners who want it. Mostly wood chips.

We already had this conversation but mulch is just not that popular here. I never see it in the park system and most homeowners want better mulch than you get from yard waste. Too many weeds and other things that will create exactly what you are mulching to get rid of. Palm tree mulch is pretty much useless for anything. Mulch also seems to attract a lot of carpenter ants and the ones people are scared of like scorpions or those cockroaches the size of your thumb.
On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 01:43:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I wouldn't want it in Florida either. Personally "I" won't use it in my yard either here - but it works good on the trail system to keep things "dry" and it eventually composts down to soil
alt.home.repair:

We have "single stream" recycling - paper, metal, and certain plastics go into one bin. We have no recycling of organic stuff, unfortunately. If I had use for compost and a place to prepare it, I would.
On 2/8/2019 6:41 PM, Nil wrote:

If you look around regions in the US you see considerable differences in how this is handled. Anywhere from one to a half dozen different trash containers.
The one I like is at the land fill itself. Everything goes there in one truck then people at the dump pick through it. It takes half the trucks off the road and only one home owner container. The dump requires extra workers but they will have equipment for better handling the recycle. Right now, we have extra people at the dump to separate the recycle anyway.
Politicians legislated how trash is handling. These people do not understand science and economics.
They also thought they would make money selling the recycled plastic but it turns out that supply exceeded demand. To repeat, politicians do not understand economics.

Even if there are no profits from the "blue box" recycling materials < glass, metal, plastic, paper > there is some benefit from extending the life of the landfill. I'm not sure if it's still the case today - but much of Toronto's garbage was being trucked to somewhere in Michigan for many years when the Toronto area landfills filled up all-too-quickly. Environmental considerations for new large scale landfill can be restrictive. John T.
--- ---
On 2/8/2019 8:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Trash to energy plants solve many landfill problems. Technology has drastically cut air pollution from the burning.
On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 8:03:07 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Yeah. Thanks for that. I've always thought we should increase the tipping fees for imported garbage.
Cindy Hamilton
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 05:04:54 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I wonder if they ever thought of shipping it north. Canada has lots of empty space.