Pressure washers

  Will one of the better units cut wood if I use a straight nozzle ? I'm not sure (because this idea just came to me mere seconds ago) what kind of pressures they develop these days , but I do know for a fact that I have used one (30 years ago in another life) To cut other difficult materials . All these questions come about because I got a stump . A big stump . A big red oak stump with a taproot . And it's right smack in the way of the shelter I'm about to build to cover my camper . I went out there on Sunday afternoon with a pick-axe , shovel , axe , and one of my chainsaws . I managed to chop out maybe 3 of probably 20 or more roots about 5"-6" in diameter . Then spent the next 2 days with lower back pain . There's gotta be a better way than diggin' and choppin' with an axe ! Then I thought about pressure washers ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 12/19/2018 5:36 PM, Thomas wrote:

  Backhoe is 200 bucks a day rental if I do it , about 3-4 times that if I hire it done . And my chainsaws are what I use to cut firewood , don't feel inclined to fuck them up in the mud and rocks . If I must I can tough it out and dig the SOB up by hand , but I figger there have got to be cost-reasonable options . BTW the local stump grinder guy wanted like 500 bucks for an average 16"-18" stump cut no more than 6 inches above the ground .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

You can rent stump grinders ...
http://www.coleman-equipment.com/rental-rates/results/
some folks rent Trump grinders ...
https://depositphotos.com/16478409/stock-photo-stormy-daniels.html
John T.
On 12/19/2018 6:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

  Why did you have to drag politics into this discussion ? And the only place in this town of under 4,000 that rents equipment doesn't have one .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:50:23 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

that

only

Do they have Mexican day laborers?
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 6:44:01 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

at

For $500 he should grind any size stump. I can see a high minimum, because there is overhead, ie driving the equipment there, unloading, loading, etc. If you're not in a hurry, try finding someone already doing work nearby. They might be willing to stop by and do it while there.
That reminds me of a story with a neighbor who has become a pain in the ass . A tree on my property, close to the property line, fell in a storm and g ot hung up in another tree. I engaged a tree service to remove that and do some other work. The neighbor asked me to get a quote on removing a healthy limb from another tree that overhangs onto his property. Tree service guy would have the bucket truck in my yard doing my tree work, they could easil y reach that other limb from the same spot. I told the neighbors they want ed $175 to do it. When they were here doing the work the foreman goes over to talk to them and they tell him they will only pay $50. They finish my w ork, take the bucket truck out to the street and the dopey neighbor goes ou t to the street and offers $100. They drove off. If you're going to be cheap and/or negotiate, that is one thing. But it's s tupid to think that once they move the truck they are going to come back on the cheap. Tree guy said he'd charge $300 if they had to come out to do th at limb.
Regarding a pressure washer, I'd say forget about it, unless the stump is r otten. The pressure washers I've used can easily ruin wood, raise the grain , but I don't think they will erode it well enough to remove a stump. If it worked, lots of people would do it. If you can use the PW to clean it up, maybe you can go at it with the chainsaw? Those tree guys I had, I wanted them to cut short an existing 18 inch stump for me. They just used the stum p grinder and took it below grade because they had the grinder here and it was easier. They really are amazing. What would take us days and lots of pa in, the grinder can do in ten minutes.
On 12/19/18 4:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Sand blaster?
On 12/19/2018 5:57 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

  That would take a LOT of sand !
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 2018-12-19 3:01 p.m., Terry Coombs wrote:

No guarantees but stumbled across this video the other day, the music is annoying but it seems to work. YMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgx_VPmJx8

On 2018-12-19 3:01 p.m., Terry Coombs wrote:

No guarantees but stumbled across this video the other day, the music is annoying but it seems to work. YMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgx_VPmJx8

Wow, excellent video. I was going to suggest burning the stump because I saw some videos in the past about that. But this video is excellent.
I am assuming the OP lives in a remote area where it is okay to have open fires. In my suburban area, it is not permitted.
Also check out this follow-up video by the same person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuiXfS6eL7Y

Wow, excellent video below. I was going to suggest burning the stump because I saw some videos in the past about that. But this video is excellent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Idlehands" wrote in message
No guarantees but stumbled across this video the other day, the music is annoying but it seems to work. YMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgx_VPmJx8

What the pressure washer will do for you is wash enough of the dirt away so you can use a chain saw. It is messy and wear eye protection but just pick a spot on a root, blow the dirt away and cut it. Once you get all of the radial roots cut you can usually hook a chain around the stump and pop it loose with your truck.
On 12/19/2018 03:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

FLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdQBACVwHQ

Got any bored smoke jumpers in your area? They love playing with that shit.

In the GOod Old Daize, before Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing, and a couple of other incidents, all you needed was to pick up some fertilizer and fuel oil...
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 02:16:31 +0000 (UTC), danny

Skip the fertilizer. I saw a video where he ised oil or gasoline tp set the wood on fire and burnt the stump out. It didn't go very well, but it might go better for Terry. It did burn all night and get rid of 30 or 40% but then the fire went out.
Isnt' there some microbe you can put in the stump and it will eat it up in a year or two?
On 12/19/2018 09:06 PM, micky wrote:

There was a deal where you bored holes in the stump and poured in a saltpeter solution. iirc the idea was to make it burn better. We tried it on an elm stump without much success. It was there until the town ran a sewer line and dug it out with a hoe.
On 12/20/2018 9:14 AM, rbowman wrote:

  And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go NOW . If I can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to build that area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where the gravel will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 12/20/2018 10:27 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not unsightly but you don't have that much time. The best suggestion I think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use it to wash away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few inches further. Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the rapid dulling if you cut into gritty soil. Lot cheaper to resharpen a chain saw than rent a stump grinder.
On 12/19/2018 8:16 PM, danny burstein wrote:

  You are aware that AN/FO explosives need a pretty decent booster to actually detonate ? I'd be better off using black powder ... but since this stump is pretty close to stuff I don't want to destroy any kind of explosive (that I can get legally) is out of the question .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old