Horizontal cable balusters

I have seen pictures of cable rail balusters that seem to be spaced quite far apart. I thought horizontal balusters were forbidden because kids could climb on them. Then I saw this this pix with the cables and I thought I could fit my leg through so a kid could certainly get through and fall. This house was built on a CA mountainside. What am I missing? Sorry I do not have a link to the pix.
--
Tekkie

Canadian or Californian?

Some reference (e.g URL) that provides enough information from which one can draw a useful inference.
FYI - A baluster is vertical, by definition. In a cable rail, the vertical elements are known as posts or pickets.
Typically, the horizontal cables are no more than 3" apart, but this depends on the applicable building codes (often not enforced in rural settings).
On 4/15/2019 4:00 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Could have been changed after inspection.
My deck rail was not to code either. It was like that for 35 years, but when I put the house on the market I brought it to code. I did not want it to be a sale issue nor did I want liability if the new owner had a kid.
On 4/15/19 4:00 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Lots of pics here: https://www.atlantisrail.com/cable-railing
The site also has this comment re codes" "At one time building code restrictions limited the use of any horizontal railing for general use, which would include cable railing. In 2001, the International Code Commission (ICC) removed this “ladder law” restriction from the International Residential Code (IRC). Though there is nothing stated in the IRC or International Building Code (IBC), any state or municipality has the right to write in their own code and to interpret existing IRC and IBC. With cable railing you should always consult the local code enforcement official with your plans first. Gain approval before the installation, not after."
"\"Retired"@home.com posted for all of us...

te

ould

This

have

Thank you for the post. I really get the chills when I think of some kid climbing the cables to stand on the handrail and...
--
Tekkie