OT New phone number fun

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 17:35:28 -0500, Ralph Mowery

No but that number will come out of the same central office. The only way you well see another area code is if you are in an overlay area that requires 10 digit dialing. It will still be one of those local area codes.
says...

No, that the exchange has a set of numbers specified by the area code and so a particular number can't move out of that exchange/area code. But it hasn't been like that for a long time now.
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 11:16:43 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sure you can. I ported a Verizon copper landline to a VOIP provider. Nothing has been hard wired really since the deployment of electronic switching. You may not be able to port all numbers, and it depends on what you're porting it to. If he's porting a landline to a VOIP provider, which is the most common, there is a high probability it will port.
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 16:55:07 -0800 (PST), trader_4

VOIP is not a land line in the conventional sense and as you said, wherever you go it is the same to the TELCO. Your phone number is still handled in your original central office and routed to the internet provider from there. If you live across the street from me with your VOIP phone and I dial your new jersey area code to get you, I am paying a long distance charge if it was not bundled into my phone service. I would not show an LD charge to call my daughter in Michigan because she has a local to me number on her cell. Her next door neighbor would. This kind of thing is why most cell and even POTS plans include free roaming and LD within the US.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Over the years the phones sure have changed.
At one time AI knew 2 brothers that lived next to each other. Between their houses was a field about 200 feet across. Each was in a different phone company area and it was long distance for them to call each other.
Now the local cable/internet service offers for free a very handy service. You have the internet phone through them. You can set it so that if your internet phone rings, it will ring your cell phone at the same time. As far as the internet phone goes, there is no long distance calls or time limits to phones in the US. Not sure about out of the US. Try and figuer that one out as far as a land line or wireless depending on what you use to answer with.
On 1/8/2019 7:55 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Correct, but they won't port a number to a different area code 1400 miles away.
On 1/8/2019 10:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Nope, was not an option. I asked and needed the area code I moved to.
On 01/07/2019 10:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Years ago when I got my present landline number it had been recycled from the Sears service center. I hope nobody is still waiting for somebody to fix their Kenmore washing machine.
On 1/8/2019 10:04 AM, rbowman wrote:

Years ago when I was a kid it was wrong numbers. Ours was one digit off from a tire store. I got tired of telling people that they got the wrong number and if they asked if I had such and such a tire, I'd say yeah, come on in.
rbowman posted for all of us...

You must have gotten a heck of a lot of calls. The calls will start up again as soon as Sears folds and innocent victims need their tighty whitey water waster needs fixing, again. Make a deal with the local repairman and get a spiff for everyone you refer.
--
Tekkie

On 01/14/2019 02:15 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

They stopped years back. Sears and K-Mart are both long gone here. I miss the Craftsman tools although towards the end you had to be careful you weren't getting Sort Of Craftsman.
They tore down K-Mart and built a Cabelas but I'm not sure that was exactly progress.
rbowman posted for all of us...

and

again

ter

t a

We have a huge Cabela's here in PA. 99% of the people that worked there tha t I knew are gone. It started declining when Bass Pro started expressing interest in purchasing them. I presume they were trying to run expenses dow n for the balance sheet. They have a bare minimum of staffing and prices on the Bass Pro stuff is better than the major brands Cabela's used to handle. Stay away on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays. Read their adds carefully because if they have a special they may have only a small limited amount at that price. They also have one in Delaware that I think is in a mall and is reported to be nowhere near as nice as the one here.
--
Tekkie

On 01/15/2019 02:16 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

The last item I looked at in Cabelas was a Kershaw Leek knife. It was $10 cheaper up the road at Sportsmans Warehouse, and $10 cheaper than that at Amazon. I used to get their catalogs but I never saw any outstanding bargains.
What really soured me was when they started buying up acreage for a hunting lease scheme.
I used to stop at the mother ship in Sidney. They weren't stupid and had plenty of 18-wheeler parking. Real estate isn't exactly a problem i that part of Nebraska. I've been to the one in Glendale and that was a real CF with a small sedan.
rbowman posted for all of us...

that

down

on

dle.

t at

d is

They also have major big rig and RV parking in PA.
--
Tekkie

On 1/15/2019 4:16 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I live in DE and shop Cabela's here. I've been to their PA store in Hamburg and it is much bigger particularly with the trophy display there. I thought they should have built one of their first stores in DE as we have no sales tax and did not realize they were so big in guns and permitting makes more difficult. Store is in the mall but outside, independent with plenty of close parking.
It is the worst place to buy a gun. My experience was standing in line maybe a half hour having taken a number to get a clerk. Then gun was delivered to the permit counter and again I waited in a long line. I made an error in putting my information into the FBI computer, was rejected, and had to do it again. Then the computer went down and they did not know when it would be up. I had expected that they would call me to come back when it cleared and they said no. I would have to call them and reenter the data when computer was back up. I walked out leaving gun and ammo on the counter. There was a guy from PA buying a rifle and this was his second trip to the store and he had to leave and come back again. Ridiculous. I bought the gun in a small shop and was in and out in 10 minutes. Had my info not cleared, shop would have called me back when it did.
On 01/16/2019 05:46 AM, Frank wrote:

I've never had problems like that. The closest would be Sports Authority. They had a few guns in the back corner and when they had a sale on Marlin .22s I bought one. It was like 'oh shit, a gun! I forgot we sold those.' They still got me out the door a lot faster.
Kittery Trading Post was a little more complex for handguns. They are in Maine and I lived in New Hampshire. You did all the paperwork in the Maine store and then a gopher drove across the bridge to Portsmouth where they had a storefront. He'd unlock the door, walk in, and give you the gun. Duly delivered by a FFL holder, he'd lock up and go back to Maine.
Frank posted for all of us...

land

Dan

d,

p again

water

get a

that

down

on

dle.

t at

d is

Copy that. DO NOT go on a weekend. Their computers & checks get jammed up. I had to wait 2? hrs ONCE. I found another place to purchase. Checks take 5 min, if that.
--
Tekkie

On 1/7/19 11:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]
When I moved here, it was 20 years before I stopped getting calls for "Johnny" (someone who must have had this number before).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 1/8/2019 12:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've had this landline for almost 10 years and last night I got a call for Steve, again. In my previous city, where I lived for some 36 years, I still got calls for Terry, a State Farm agent just prior to moving.