Dang it!

Late coldsnap got me. Lost 4 trays of seedlings in the green house. All my red bell peppers.

I will have to redesign the sunroom better for more seedling space. That will take awhile as it's got a lot of junk to clear out.

I've still got time to get herbs started. I'll have to get starter plants now. Ah well, The delicata and zucchini are fine still and there's 6 trays still inside.

Reply to
cshenk

I brought mine in last night ... and after seeing the frost on our cars this morning I'm glad I did !

Reply to
Snag

Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last night. Sprang up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog out.

Reply to
cshenk

I almost lost half of my vinca plants that I'd transplanted into their hanging baskets. They really looked done-for, but I brought them in and they recovered, thank goodness.

OTOH the lettuce plants I had put outside in their big pots did just fine. I'll be adding more to another pot later today.

Nyssa, who when on a gardening supply run this morning and snagged two huge pots for tomatoes and replacement seeds for other starts that didn't start on the first try

Reply to
Nyssa

I had 12 tomato plants set out and over the county here was spotted frost. I just hope it missed mine. Middle of NC.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

cshenk wrote: ...

there's a hard frost in the forecast for tomorrow night so i'm glad i don't have anything out there that i'm worried about being damaged.

Mom noticed the lilac bush is probably not going to flower again this season, but we'll see how it goes - sometimes nature figures it out anyways. if it doesn't this will be the third season in a row that it didn't do very well.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I was able to save 2 seedling trays and 1 patial with a little bit in there. It's the red peppers that hurt. The lettuce was seeded but not germinated yet so there's hope yet. I have herbs still in packets and some odds-n-ends still in seed packets.

That's good!

I have yet to make my run.

Reply to
cshenk

My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping and has soil to give away ...I need some fill for a shop expansion project , and it looks like I'll be getting a load to supplement my garden topsoil . For free , but I'll make sure he (the neighbor) gets compensated for at least his fuel for hauling it to me .

Reply to
Snag

I'm going to have to make another run probably next week.

Since I had my deck re-done, I'll need to buy some pot stands (wheeled for the bigger pots) to keep the pots off the decking. I priced them when I was at Lowe's and they are *expensive*! Yikes! But I figure spending a couple of hundred for the stands is better than paying a couple of thousand to have the deck re-done again in a few years.

Meanwhile, the temperatures are still going down into the 40s at night, so I'm still stuck with a lot of plants indoors under the plant light taking up room that should be used by new seed starts. :/

The wind is another worry. Gusting up to 35mph doesn't bode well for new transplants or hardening off seedlings. Even if temperatures rise, that wind is going to delay matters even longer.

IIRC, the last frost date for VB is 23 March. For here, it's 7 April. Either way, these late frosts we've both been getting are really outliers that are probably setting a few records. I just want it all to normalize so I can get stuff growing outside!

A gardener's/farmer's life is not easy.

Nyssa, who at least has blueberry plants that are doing okay in this weird weather (fingers crossed)

Reply to
Nyssa

Good deal! I wish I could find such a deal for my low-lying section of backyard.

Nice that you're remembering to "tip" for the delivery. A lot of people wouldn't think to do that these days.

Nyssa, who lives in a swamp and suffers the muddy consequences every spring

Reply to
Nyssa

We have formed a pretty tight group of people here in The Holler . Every one of us brings a different talent to the group and we all help each other when there is a need or opportunity . I'm the metalworking Mr. Fixit , Ken is our small engine guy , Tim helps out with his backhoe , and so on . And we all have gardens and share seedlings - I always plant more than I intend to use so I have some to share . Several of us have hens , so there's never a shortage of eggs . Or fertilizer !

Reply to
Snag

Good deal!

I keep getting offers for seedlings I don't want in exchange for my food plants. I've told her privately, no. Wt've exchanged before and she always turns my 'must pickup' into I have to go there. Frankly Virginia Beach is probably a LOT bigger than most here realize. She's a 1.5hr round trip. There are others who are 2.5hr round trip. No thanks!

Reply to
cshenk

Are you handy with wood? They are simple to make. Castor locking wheels.

Depending on size needed, these may do.

Lots of others for low cost in different sizes.

Also, if handy with basic tools-

Nothing says you have to use a square. 6 wheels and rectangle may work better for your needs. 1 sheet 3/4in thick PT plywood (4ft x 8ft). Cut off top 2ft leaving a 6ft x4ft section. Cut the 6ft x 4ft secion inti 3 16ib 6ft sections. Apply 4 wheels to the 4 corners the 2 at center sides. Seal then paint the wood with exterior paint (top and bottom for longevity). The remaing wood could be 4 more rolling planters as 12in x 2ft or whatever you want.

It will happen though!

Apples and Cherries doing well!

Reply to
cshenk

Nice!

Reply to
cshenk

Good luck! Mine made it. We are right on the atlantic so warmer than central NC.

Reply to
cshenk

Awe. Had awesome luck with one of those some years ago but a hard winter finally got it.

Reply to
cshenk

Yes, VB is the largest city population-wise in the state and 2nd in land area (Chesapeake is #1).

VB used to be tiny...only a few blocks wide and the distance down Atlantic Avenue where the hotels were.

Then they "merged" with Princess Anne County and took over. :(

The tax rates went way up and the service level went way down...and continued from there.

Nyssa, who was raised in Princess Anne County, *not* VB

Reply to
Nyssa

That's a very good support group! I wish I had something like that here.

As it is, I'm the one who shares seedlings and helps answer gardening questions.

I am also the Designated Baker and share breads and cupcakes, etc.

I do have one neighbor who helped me pull my riding mower out of the mud my first mow of the season. I couldn't budge the thing by myself.

I guess I'm building up brownie points, but with few people able/willing to let me cash them in when I need help in return.

Nyssa, who wishes there were some people around with talents other than hers to call on...besides the ones you have to pay for

Reply to
Nyssa

I've got tools plus some scrap wood (including a dozen two foot outcuts from my decking) in the shed, but haven't had time to come up with ideas of how to use them yet.

The planter stands I saw are heavy cast iron with casters that will be sturdy enough to last for years I would think. Pricey though.

I'm juggling so many to-dos and projects right now, I've got to find some shortcuts for a few in order to catch up. This month-long delay in getting the gardening started is just adding to the drama.

Nyssa, who will keep trying to think of ideas and looking for some ready-made solutions

Reply to
Nyssa

Yup, all the local ones 'encorperated' to county wide. Makes former suburbs subjuect to the main citie's taxes...

You'd have go back before the civil war to find it that small though.

Yes, and a LOT of growth since then. I'd say south of the 'green line' is still sparse but that's about all. The rest is dense population and apartments or town houses with single family houses in areas.

I forgot you were a fellow baker! I'm still doing almost all our breads.

Reply to
cshenk