I lost it. Please Help me.

Well folks, it's therapy time. I was putting in base boards in my house. There must be 12 bull nose corners to be done. I set the first one, the rounded prefab 90 degree outside corner type, and it went well. The second one did not go so well. Nails were coming out everywhere, the corners were moving... not lining up. I lost it. One of those tool throwing moments, however, tools are expensive, and so I refrained. Just as I was reaching for the cat my wife stepped in and gave me a verbal smack to the head. I'm now recovering from the lowest points in a mans life. When he has to call a proffesional to do the work. I'm reaching out to all you "do it yourselfers", you "woodworking gods", to give me some words of encouragement. Something positive. Thank you.

signed, Pathetic

Reply to
rickluce

Tell your wife it's her job and get out of her way.

Reply to
Pat

You can salvage a positive by looking over the professional's shoulder, asking questions, and learning what you did wrong. Also, take some comfort in the fact that most of us have been there.

Well, some of us.

Okay, a few of us.

Alright, just you and me.

Buddy

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Convince your wife that ALL professionals do a trial fit.

Construction adhesive is your friend.

If all else fails nail the baseboard in place and get some of the little prefab corner blocks to trim the corners.

These are in the 'if you can cut more or less square you too can do all your interior trim' dept of the big home improvement stores.

Reply to
marks542004

wuss. get a bigger hammer.

Reply to
bridger

Observation is good but stay out of his way and don't be annoying. I charge extra if the customer wants to help.

Reply to
CW

No problem. It's Rick's money, not mine.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Base is a real pain around those round corners but crown is even worse! Keep at it. After the 12th one, you'll be pretty good at it.

I'm sure this is no help now but did you know that they make a plastic square corner that's about 6" tall that solves the problem...? The sheet rock guys install the bottom square piece and then the round corner sits on top of it. They are manufactured to fit together and the whole purpose is to give a square corner for the base board and still have the round corner up the rest of the wall.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Sat, Sep 17, 2005, 5:11pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (rickluce) does appeal to the mercy of his peers: I'm reaching out to all you "do it yourselfers", you "woodworking gods", to give me some words of encouragement. Something positive. Thank you.

That's Woodworking Gods, with caps. And, they're still snickering.

JOAT If it ain't broke - fix it 'til it is.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Sometimes we DIY types forget that NO ONE does everything well... that's why there are professionals... for the things that we either don't enjoy doing or are not our thing...

Reflect on a few things that you HAVE done well recently and pay someone to do the baseboard... they'll do it in a lot less time than you will, and your wife can't dog you about the quality of the job or the mess you made.. *g*

Bottom line: Don't take life too seriously, you're not going to get out of it alive...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, Mac. That's why there is paintable caulk, sold in contractor 12-packs.

If my wife gets wind of the fact that I can't do everything, how will I justify buying more tools? ;-)

Besides, the bar is set pretty low. I only have to be better than the folks on the DIY shows. Even though she knows they are, for the most part, pretenders, on a deadline, with editors.

But you're right about one thing. Pick your battles wisely.

Patriarch, remembering what JOAT's title comes from

Reply to
Patriarch

So that NEXT time, you won't need to hire someone? (and pray that there won't be a next time)