Customer Service (or the lack of it)

Ten days ago we moved to a new house and a new state. We planned to buy some of the accessories after moving in. It was also better to buy some things new rather than pay to haul them 1400 miles. Some of this went rather smooth, but, there are a lot of clueless idiots that manage to get jobs working with the public.
The good news, I was able to buy a refrigerator, washer, dryer from an appliance dealer that I never met. I got house insurance and car insurance from an agent I never met. The builder did an excellent job and everything was as it should be.
We used PODS to move our belongings, two 16 footers. They never put the final pickup in the system. Three calls and they did nothing to make up the time lost. Actually, sort of arrogant. it will get there when we say, not our problem.
Then you have the other side of things. Like Lowe's. We went to the store and saw a patio set we liked. We took the information and continued to look at a couple of other places and decided to go with the one from Lowe's so I ordered it on line for delivery. When the order was placed, it showed the table for delivery, the chairs to be picked up at the store. One phone call and one email got that fixed. Then I got an email showing the delivering carrier had the old phone number. I emailed and they corrected and thanked me but never passed it on to the driver. On delivery day they could not find the street (new, not on maps) and the phone did not work. Called when nothing showed, and was told next day, but it took three calls and four people to get that. Waited and nothing so I called again and was told Jan 10. Called one person and cancelled. Meantime i called another number from the website and got an intelligent sounding person. She did some checking and asked if I cancelled. I told her yes, not waiting until Jan 10 but will take delivery tomorrow. She was able to do Saturday. Total time about 90 minutes and at least 6 calls. Everything was press 1, then press 3, then press 1, then press your head up your ass because we're busy.
Tried to get information on my wife's prescription insurance. Could not find her card as we've not needed it for the past 10 years. 45 minutes on the phone to change our address and still could not get the information needed. Called the previous pharmacy and got it in 1 minute.
The few businesses that actually answer the phone with a real person will be my priority to work with.
Oh, lots of stuff from Amazon and they have not missed yet!
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 23:47:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski

Sad story, but well told, Ed.
Did you build a new house? Exciting.
I can't compete with you, but I've been itching to tell this to someone:
Bought an airline ticket online, but it didn't like my credit card**. Tried another one but didn't finish. Tried it again, again didn't finish. Wanted to pay before they sold my seat so called customer service. Middle of the night, press 1 for Englis, press 1 for have a ticket, two if you don't -- I'm not sure which I am! They answered promptly. He fixed things, and asked Window or Aisle. I said Window.
As soon as I got off the phone I got 8 emails from the credit card company. Single transaction over $10 alert and online charge alert for the purchase I thought did not go through; International charge alert and online charge alert for 1 dollar; International charge alert and Online charge alert and Over $10 alert and Available Credit very low alert
So they billed me twice. Interestingly, the first time I didn't get the international charge alert, I guess because the webpage runs out of the US, but the phone call transferred to Europe.
Check the seat they reserved for me. Yes, it's window, but it's over the wing so I can't see anything.
Called just now, middle of the night in Baltimore, they are only handling flights leaving within 24 hours.
**Second time credit card was disliked but when I used it for $10 at a store it was fine. I plan to try it some more.
When my mother moved from Indiana to Pennsylvania, there was a trucker's strike in Pa. and they were shooting at trucks. So the movers unloaded everything in Ohio near the border and didn't go back for it until after the strike ended.
On 12/28/2018 6:36 AM, micky wrote:

When we moved about 7 miles last year to our condo, we were able to port our existing land line phone number to our new address. However, we also were changing our phone company and were forced to convert from POTS to digital phone. Both companies told us not to worry, they do this all the time etc. and gave us exactly the same instructions what to do. We did exactly as instructed and returned all the equipment belonging to our old phone company and took all our personal phone equipment with us. Our installation appointment at the new home was one day after our move-in.
Appointment time was 8-10 AM. We were here. They were a no show. When we call them on our cell phones they complained that they had come but no one was home. They said when they called our land line phone number, there was no answer. We explained that we were at our new residence and were waiting for them to install phone service. How the hell could we know our number was being called? We said it was impossible that no one was here. When we asked them to give us the address they came to, they gave us our old, now vacant house address, which I had previously provided at their request when they said they needed all our old account information (including service address) to port the line. They continued to deny responsibility for any mistake and said that they were so busy that it now would be 2 additional weeks before they could install the new service. When they finally showed up, the technician asked, "where's the junction box for our equipment" (this is a large multi-story condo). I said, I have no idea, I just moved in, anyway, it's your junction box, you should know where your company has installed it (building is about 30 years old and predominantly served by this same telecom company). Tech said, "well, since I don't know where the junction box is, I can't do anything for you - and he left!! Long story short - it took about 8 phone calls to telecom headquarters to finally get service installed, about 1 month after our move-in. Even then, it didn't go smoothly. They got us a dial tone and outgoing service but no ring for incoming calls. Took 3 more days for 2 more groups of technicians to resolve that problem. Speaking of incompetence.....
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 28 Dec 2018 08:02:19 -0500, Peter

That's a terrible story, but it reminds me of two others.
One was 12 years ago. I was in Europe, had just bought a laptop on Ebay and decided it needed a new battery. And I thought it would be cool to order from Hong Kong to Europe without it going to the US (until I brought it.) When it didn't come in the expected time, 3 or 4 weeks, I looked online and after calling found out that they had cancelled the order right after I made it, suspended my Paypal account, and sent a postal letter to my home in Baltimore. I said, Wasn't the fact that I was ordering from Europe a clue that I wasn't in Baltimore. (I ended up reordering, using the Paypal account of a boy in the dorm I was living in, and paying him in cash what I had spent.) The battery arrived literally one day before I went back to the US. A day later and I never would have gotten it.
But just 3 weeks ago I went for an outpatient TURP, where they use a hot wire to away parts of your (that is, my) prostate. The previous practice insisted someone bring me, wait for me, and take me home, a committment of 4 or 5 hours. They woudln't let a taxi take me home. This was the major reason I changed doctors and practices.
The new one is in a major hospital and they told me before I changed, You just need a ride home. So I was supposed to be there at 5AM for them to start at 7. They did start on the prep stuff just a few minutes after 5, At 6 they asked me again for the number of the person picking me up, they were going to call her. I said, She's asleep! But they insisted. The phone went straight to voicemail because she turns her cell phone off when she's asleep. They said if she didn't confirm that she was picking me up, the procedure would be cancelled. Huh? Why didn't they tell me this in advance so I could have had her leave her phone on. It's enough she's picking me up at 10:30, she shouldn't have to be up at 6 to answer the phone. Let's call her Nancy.
So I came up with another number. I'd already asked the son and he was busy, but I called at 6:15, and lucky for her, the wife of a friend was awake (and about to go across the street to walk on the track, so I was lucky she was still there. I gave the phone to the nurse and she asked "Are you Nancy?". Now this second woman is very religious and doesn't like to lie, and I coudlnt' hear what she was saying, but later I found out that she said "Yes", "And are you picking up Micky later this morning?" and again she said Yes, even though she had no intention of picking me up, not her, her husband, or son, all busy. But she was smart enough to lie for me. Twice.
A few minutes later, the doctor comes to talk to me and I ask, How long will this last? He says, "It depends on how aggressive I am" We should have had this conversation earlier, so I coudl ask my brother and think about it. So with no notice, I said to be very aggressive and my brother, a doctor, later told me that that increases the chance of incontinence. Lucky for me, that didn't happen. And he only promised me maybe 10 years which means when I'm 81, I'll have to do this again.
But he also said, "I think I'm going to keep you in the hospital tonight." So I didn't need a ride home after all, because by the next day the anesthesia completely wears off and I can take the bus, the subway, or a taxi. But they were going to cancel me for not having a ride, after they didnt' tell me to have her awake at 6AM.
And why do they have to call my friend at 6 in the morning. Why not call her the day before?
When they drew blood, I got an email, How did we do? and I thought I'd get one for this, but no. So I have to hunt for a way to tell them how stupid they are. But i"m not doing that until I'm done with them and they can't retaliate.
On 12/27/18 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My complaint isn't nearly as serious. It's the lack of "Thank you" from clerks at whatever stores where I've just spent money.
On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 4:59:13 AM UTC-7, Dean Hoffman wrote:

to buy

y some

went

job

ake up

we

t to the

t an

on

? and was

one

ebsite

asked

take

about 90

3,

ld not

nutes

minute.

We are now expected to "thank them" for servicing US. Totally changed situa tion from days of old...get used to it.