help refinishing dresser - 1 attachment

Page 2 of 2
On 3/14/2011 8:07 AM, dadiOH wrote:

In most cases it's certainly one of the major ingredients; either that or toluene. For the purposes of thinning lacquer you do want to use lacquer thinners as recommended by the manufacturer of the lacquer (and not acetone), but for the purposes of dissolving gunk like old finishes, acetone usually works just as well as lacquer thinner and is most likely cheaper too.

Thanks, Steve!
Seems that paint stripper will be the way to go. A little household bleach did lighten the test piece somewhat ... I may post a picture of the "liberated" wood to ask what kind of wood it is.
--
Best regards
Han

Bleach baaaad!

The how can I lighten up dark wood? (Omdat m'n vrouw er om vraagt!!)
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/14/11 7:01 PM, Han wrote:

Paint? :-)
--
Froz...

Not by this Dutchman ...
--
Best regards
Han

Han:
One more product recommendation to try: Goo-gone.
DON'T CONFUSE THIS WITH GOOF-OFF
Despite the similar names, they are very different products. Goo-gone is an orange colored and scented petroleum-based cleaner that is relatively mild. Available at HD, grocery stores, etc. I have used it to clean kitchen cabinets with year's of greasy deposits, with no damage to the finish. But you would need to try on an inconspicuous place, of course, since YMMV. This might be less radical than some of the other suggestions you have received, so might be a good first try, and if it doesn't work, on to other choices.
Good luck

I'm having trouble understanding how you can address the lightness or darkness of the wood before you remove the finish and/or stain and see what is actually under there. No bleaching product will lighten the/a dark finish/stain, if that is what is being considered.
I may be misunderstanding something, too, as I initially did. Sonny

Thanks, Sonny. I understand. We may be a little freaky, in that we do NOT like dark wood. Since this may be something dark, whatever the exact wood name, we'd want to lighten it as easily as can be done.
More later ...
--
Best regards
Han

Have you seen some of these new kitchens with the super dark cabinets?
Medieval dungeons were more cheerful places than this modern abomination.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in wrote

Yep! It seems now the avocado from the 50's is out, stainless and black are in. My choices: White fridge, black stove, light maple cabinets.
--
Best regards
Han

Some people like dark wood you know.
And there's nothing "modern" about it. The "modern abomination" is all this pale oak and whatnot.
wrote

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. and over smaak valt niet te twisten ("over taste you can't fight" - a funky translation from Dutch)
IOW YMMV
--
Best regards
Han

The abomination is golden oak. I used to like it too, in the house with the avocado 'fridge and harvest gold stove. *Way* too much of it since.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:03:19 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Plus the new dark kitchens (cabs and counters) require several _kilowatts_ of lighting to make them habitable or mildly friendly.
-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes
Wow, looked at the Header and I thought it read, Fran Dresser, am I in the right newsgroup?