Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing]

Page 1 of 2
We have hired a company to refinish our deck. When they sent us a proposal, they specified two coats of their sealant. When workers came, they acted all surprised when I requested that they come again to put the second coat. I had to talk on the phone to the "manager" who tried to convince me that I do not need two coats, that it was a mistake etc. Their sealant, upon close examination, appears to be an oil based stain diluted with solvent such as mineral spirits. They said that second coat of that product will not penetrate and the deck will forever remain oily.
My general and limited woodworking experience suggests that for a 20 year old and dry weathered wood, it will absorb an additional coat. I requested that they leave a little bit of their sealant and tried applying it again today, and alas, it was absorbed by the wood after I wiped off the excess. I am sure that a second coat will make the treatment last longer.
So I do want a second coat. Any thoughts on my decision making process?
The color that they applied is called california cedar, but is more reminiscent of baby shit. That's to say that it is brown and not very transparent. But it looks not so bad and it was our choice.
What I am thinking about however, is VARNISHING the deck on top of coating. Both the treatment and varnish would be oil based. I will thusly benefit from their sanding of the deck, and their treatment will allow me to use less varnish. I tried varnishing one rail with captain's spar urethane, and it looked frankly pretty good. Has anyone varnished a weathered deck? Is that a crazy idea? Maybe I should varnish rails only?
Thanks!
You ask "...Any thoughts on my decision making process?..." Yes. It s*%ks.

sealant..." >"....When workers came, they acted all surprised....the "manager" ... tried to >convince me that I do not need two coats..."
These guys are robbing you, plain and simple. They charge for two applications, but only deliver one. React accordingly. Life really isn't all that complicated in most cases. Don't over analyze.
JG
On 15 Jul 2003 03:56:54 GMT, Ignoramus26420

Send a check for half the amount. After all, they only did half the work. They will get in touch with you!!!! Remind them that *you* are always right (customer). Perhaps you can settle for one coat and 3/4 the price.
Good luck

After I tried applying the second coat, no, I want a second coat and I will pay 100% of price.
John Gaquin wrote:

Not exactly. The stuff they use IS a penetrant. I've used it on my deck for years. Even with one coat, if you get too much on, and the deck has been previously done, it will puddle and not penetrate. And it WILL be slicker than owl shit if it does that.

The deck was never done before.
John Gaquin wrote:

But, the point is, if you look at *most* cans of deck sealer, they will tell you to 1. NOT let the stuff puddle, 2. not to do two coats, unless done in a certain time frame. In other words, if the first coat has been there too long, the second coat will not penetrate. It's just doing what it's supposed to do, and that is preventing moisture from getting in the wood. On my can, it says IF you want to second coat, to do so immediately after the first coat soaks in.
If they bid 2 coats this is what you should receive , I dought if it will remain sticky, it will dry as the first coat did. If they come back out be sure they are new unopened cans , so they dont just thin out your product. or deduct for the second coat, to hell with them.
My experience in maintaining spar varnish exposed to the sun and weather is that it'll take 1/4 to 1/2 hour of labor per square foot per year to keep it in good shape. YMMV.
Ignoramus26420 wrote:

the second coat will make it last more than twice as long, he bid it, of course it will help. He is a crook, the oldest trick in the book, you are not supposed to be looking , while he rips you off. If he gives you one bit of shit dont pay , hire someone else for the second coat, pay him minus the second coat around christmas, he has lied to you twice already, on the bid and saying it will stay tacky, screw him, he is screwing you,,,, get it....
I did not read all your post,, dont varnish your deck or railing, when it fails you will have to strip it and sand , just stain it
You don't want multiple coats on a deck. Thinner = better. The process is to brush it on and the wood will absorb what it wants and then you brush out the rest. Thick coats will just scratch, flake, and peel and will look like hell in a few months.
You also don't want to varnish a deck. Once the varnish fails you'll have the "job from hell" trying to strip it.
The best looking decks have a thin coat of lightly tinted oil based deck stain and this get's re-applied every 2-3 years. Prep is just a good cleaning with a garden hose and deck cleaner. (no pressure washers!!!)

No, no. This is oil sealant that does not polymerize like varnish. It is basically oil with stain. So it is absorbed by the wood. I actually tried putting a second coat yesterday, the piece of wood where I applied it absorbed the extra oil and is looking deeper and I think will last longer.

Does exterior grade varnish also fail and peel?

This makes sense. But why would a second coat of such oil hurt???

What do the instruction on the can say, you have not said what product you are using, call the manufacturer. multiple coats of transparent stain will not peal or flake or scratch as someone has said
Ransley wrote:

They say they make that stuff themselves. And what I think they do is, they take some oil, add some mineral spirits, add some stain, and mix it together. Of course that stuff will not flake or peel -- it is a liquid. But two coats may give me more protection.
They make it themselves, HAAAA HAAA HAAA seriously , they dont. ,they just buy it in a 5 or 50 gallon, I will bet this is their 3rd lie to you. put a little on your deck see if it dries..Good stuff has chemicals in it no painter can buy in small quantities,and todays modern chemicals and chemists do wonders no garage Idiot can match. With a warranty,and life expectation. In all my years painting I have never heard of that one. I would not use some shit made in a garage, How are you going to get more to match the color... I think this guy is a rea scamo hacko and is playing you for a sucker, You dont believe me , call the paint stores in your area and talk to their managers abot this.

And what does the article say?
ignoramus wants us to quote comsumer reports for him also? right..................

Go to: www.consumerreports.org
Pay 4.95 for a one month subscription, and you can download all the product reviews you want.