Generator (Gererac 5500XL) Repair cost

I have a Generac 5500XL. Despite the fact that it came without the wheel kit, electric starter and that it's heavy, we like the generator very much. It runs like a champ and nearly always starts on the first pull.
We bought it to power our house when the electricity goes down...which it does quite often here. We live at the end of the line and there are no Police/Fire/Hospitals that need power. When our power goes down, it tends to stay down until everyone else's power is restored:>:
We have taken good care of it and estimate it has 150 hours on it. It's never been overloaded.
Last week, we had a minor power failure and ran it for about 9 hours. It did a great job as usual. Except, the generator stopped putting out power just as I was about to shut it off and pack it away. I jiggled the electrical connection and checked the output at the generator itself. All the circuit breakers on the generator were ok. The repair shop says I need a new stator. The cost of the stator is going to be (about) $440 installed. Our stator is shorted and the shop says the stator is not repairable.
I'm wondering if the stator can be rewound and reinstalled. Has anyone ever done this or, is there a non-generac after market stator assembly that is more cost effective (cheaper)??
Any input is appreciated. Email me or post message here.
Thanks,
Art in Maine

From an RV group: "The seller told me the Generac generator stopped putting out full power. He had several service people look at it and some tried to diagnose over the phone. After helping to rewind the rotor AND the stator and check out the Briggs engine, one service man found the kill switch was shorting under load on one side only. Replacing the kill switch seems to have solved the problem. "
If it is the stator, you could give these folks a call and ask for an opinion:
http://www.gmsinternational.com/stator.html
Did you bring it to the shop and they tested it , or did they diagnose it over the phone, how old is your unit, I wasnt aware of an xl, only exl model
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------76FEE02B03C23070735905F2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Try your phone book for electric shops that do motor repair. Anyone of them is capable, but you will have to remove the electrical assembly.
My experience with my local dealer is that everything I bring to him costs about $400 - $500, regardless if its a 15 min. or 1 or 2 hour job. Most electrical problems with generator take under two hours to repair. I took my Generac 5500 EXL to the dealer and had him give me the old parts back. It was a the 84132 Power Regulator and it cost me $483, a rip off as far as I am concerned. The next time it happened it cost me $53.87 off the internet and took me 15 minutes of my time.
Get the Generator back from him. I obviously have the same generator. The only difference is its an electric start and has an oil filter on it. If you are handy you can confirm if it is the stator/rotor is bad. You need to use a VOM and be able to solder or crimp. I can describe tests for the stator/rotator, power regulator or system control board. Outside the circuit breakers and outlets there is nothing else. The real question is how handy are you ?
I can give you a number for a technician at Generac who recently described the tests to me, but there are only two and are very hard to get hold of.
Parts for Generac are available off the web.
Howard Epstein
AB wrote:

--------------76FEE02B03C23070735905F2 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="howard.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Howard Epstein Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="howard.vcf"
begin:vcard n:Epstein;Howard tel;work:603-362-5977 x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:www.FCC1.biz org:Consolidated Spectrum Services adr:;;22 Merrill Drive;Atkinson;NH;03811;USA version:2.1 email;internet: snipped-for-privacy@FCC1.biz end:vcard
--------------76FEE02B03C23070735905F2--
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------9470695D2CDED583D436290B Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
By the way the first 84132 Powe Regulator failure was due to a defective dealer fix in that generator output was not properly set.
Howard Epstein

--------------9470695D2CDED583D436290B Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="howard.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Howard Epstein Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="howard.vcf"
Hello,I have a used stator assembly in excellent condition that you might be interested in.email me snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net My name is Keith and I have been working on generators,gas,diesel,propane,transfer switches,auto transfer switches,auto and remote starting for generators ,etc.,since 1986.This email is not "spam",even though everything on the web is.Good Luck,Keith Davis.