Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait

OK, the antifreeze is risky and the raccoons completely ignored the treat of peanut butter and D-Con pellets. But I know that they made their rounds last night because of the fresh piles of coon shit.
Google search reveals high praise for fly-bait, generic: methomyl, brand: Golden Malrin. Poultry farmers swear by it. Mix a soft-drink (not diet) with fly bait crystals in an aluminum pie plan. Raccoons die within minutes, sometimes flopping into the plate. It *will* kill anything that samples it, buy there are mixed opinions as to whether cats or dogs would sample it. To be safe, I'll keep the damn dumb cat inside or else locked-in on the screened-in deck.
snipped-for-privacy@home.org (Way Back Jack) wrote in

Sure it isn't your own shit?

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:17:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.org (Way Back Jack) wrote:

I can't believe someone would kill raccoons but allow a cat to run wild. If I was going to kill something it would be the cat. They are the exotic pests.

No problem for me to believe it. Cats are part of humanity. Raccoons are the enemy.

Cat-haters just don't get it. Cats are pest-control agents. Working animals. Part of humanity. Adorable.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 22:26:53 -0500, Bert Byfield

can reproduce faster than a cat can eat them. That is why we have legends like Touser the cat that killed (pick a number) of rats and never stemmed the infestation.
The cat kills all the other animals and leaves the food supply for the rats which will quickly move in to exploit it.

I'm cat owner, have been for over half a century. Inside cats, outside cats, cats that we've adopted and cats that have adopted us.
But Part of humanity? Adorable? Gimme a break.
My current cat kills more rabbits, chipmunks and birds than any real "pests".
Watching her batting a wounded chipmunk around, finding dead rabbits in the garage and cleaning puked up half-birds off the driveway is far from "adorable".
None of this means I want to get rid of her, but she is by no means "part of humanity". No cat, dog, fish, turtle or lizard I've owned ever has been.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 22:26:53 -0500, Bert Byfield

Especially when they spray urine on your herbs or poop in the flower bed. Simply adorable.

I do believe Bobo is on to something. High fructose sody pop is killing the rest of us, why not groundhogs and raccoons. Open a six-pack, and leave it for them, and let them get obese, type II diabetes. That'll fix their wagons. It's the real thing ;O))
--

- Billy

replying to Way Back Jack, MamaMel wrote: Did you try the Golden Malrin with soda mix and did it work? I have a colony of groundhogs living under my shed/garden and destroying my veggies and yard! I've put out bowl of apple cider mixed with antifreeze- don't know yet if it's working...too soon to tell.
replying to MamaMel, Timely Dude wrote: Wait seven years like Way Back Jack did and you won't have any groundhogs either. I don't that they're that long lived.