Cedar Shingle Stain Recommendations Wanted

Have customer who wants existing (probably) currently-unstained over-ten-years-old cedar shingle exterior walls stained. They show a water pattern that he wants to soften, and he wants them darker too. http://home.kc.rr.com/plumb/cibis.htm
Although I've read some other posts on the subject, I'd like to ask anew. Does anybody have any suggestions about what product to use? The materials' cost isn't important.
I should say that I normally don't do paint jobs, but I'm going to do this one. It's a large three-story house.
The gutters are coming down too, BTW.
I'm in Kansas City.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

I have an cedar gate that I used Behr stain from the despot. I picked a color that was close to my house color and off I went. Took 1/2 gallon, 2 coats, for a 5 foot wide gate. The frame is metal and I removed the pickets so I could paint all 4 sides. Be prepared for the paint to not go very far the first coat. If there was more to do I would have gotten out the sprayer for doing it. Go to the despot and pick up a color chart and take it to the customer. They have some stuff that is almost transparent. Though I think you will need something with a little stain in it for your application
I do not think it is a water pattern, I think it is sun bleaching. Light spots runs along with the eave just lower. Good luck
Powerwash and spray it , Consumer Reports has an ongoing test on products. You can make it any color you want, but weathered natural finish will look best with solid color stain
- m Ransley -

- Nehmo -
Once before I tried pressure-washing cedar shingles, which had been painted. If I got close enough to do anything, the spray left an impression in the soft wood. Besides, in this case, I don't see what would be gained by the procedure. And not knowing how the house is built, I might accidently squirt inside. It's not worth the risk.
- m Ransley -

- Nehmo - I'll see what they have to say.
- m Ransley -

- Nehmo - The customer is going to decide the color; I'll have to make some samples.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

if
washing
- Nehmo - In '78 in Tucson, I had a business where I did nothing but use a Landa 2000. This was before pressure washers were available at Home Depot and similar stores.
Much more recently, when I tired one on painted shingles, I found it wasn't a good idea. It was on a garage. I wouldn't consider using one on an ancient house because the water may find a way in.
I agree, cedar shouldn't be painted, but lots of them are.
In any case, on this job, I'm not going to use a pressure washer.There's really nothing to remove on these shingles.
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *