Cat 5 wiring

Page 1 of 4
mark wrote:

Sure you have the correct die for the specific cable and connectors you're using? They're _very_ specific and dependent on precisely the correct dimensions of each constituent component--lead, shield, jacket diameters. Also, making the cuts and strips accurately is important. For more than just one or two, the time/effort saved for the tool is worth the investment imo.
What, specifically kinds of problem(s) are you having?

and telco cables, a different area for each type of connector. I'm using Tripp-Lite connectors. Maybe it's age, but trying to see if each of the 8 conductors is properly aligned inside of the cat 5 connector is tough. I am having problems after the crimp, sometimes I have a shorted pair or a crossed pair. I'm testing using a Linkmaster, also from Ideal. I am installing a whole house audio system, and the cabling to the keypads uses cat 5. My batting average is about .400 in getting good crimped connectors. I'm also trying to run cat 5 to various rooms from a wired router, using wall jacks in each room. I need to attach a connector for each room run.
mark wrote: ...

My bad, sorry...I was thinking coax, not Cat-5 while writing--brain cramp. :(
Not using enough Cat-5 to help, I'll retire before sticking keyboard further into mouth... :)
mark posted for all of us...

NO! This ^^^^ is PART of the problem, the crimper.
Go to the Leviton, Siemon,other cabling,etc sites and they will explain how it SHOULD be done. Think punch down. Ceimped connectors are for patch cables. So in other words DO YOUR RESEARCH! There are also group that are dedicated for this.

I find these connectors easy on my 51 year old eyes ...
http://www.smarthome.com/89210/EZ-RJ45-Cat-5-Connectors-50-Pack/p.aspx

What kind of CAT 5? With the right tool and right components; it's just a matter of finesse.

It's most definitely an acquired skill. Just keep at it, it will get better :-)

about an inch to make them easy to work with, flatten them out and then cut them the proper length.

That should be strip the jacket an inch.

That should be.....score the jacket with strippers then break it.
Too much coffee. :)
metspitzer wrote:

It takes practice. There is also a tester to see if all the wires are 'made'. People should be using cat 6 now.
Claude Hopper wrote:

foreseeable future.
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:08:47 -0500, Claude Hopper

More importantly, make sure any CAT 5 or 6 you use in a home is plenum rated, even if the building code doesn't require it. Your family's safety requires it. Don't be tempted by the sometimes significant cost differential.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

For what possible reason such a blanket statement?

There goes the theroy that there are no stupid questions!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

BTW, my understanding is that plenum cable doesn't ignite as easily, but has worse fumes once it does ignite, so it's not a trivial issue.
CJT wrote:

Here's some info:
http://www.cat-5-cable-company.com/faq-plenum-cat5e-cable.html
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote: ...

None of which has any bearing on the question of just what it is about CAT-5 cable that is so prone to needing a plenum fire rating for a residence where nothing else is going to be, anyway. I presume the high data rate is likely to generate sufficient friction within the conductors as to cause salty to be worried self-ignition?

:) spew coffee