Hardwood flooring dilemma - Please help!

<<Note: This is a repost as I didn't receive any replies and felt that my subject might have been misleading. Thanks.>>
Hello all.
I recently purchased an older house. It has Tounge-And-Groove Douglas Fir flooring running throughout. I had all of the rooms sanded and refinished, except one, and it looks great.
However, the one room that I haven't finished is my problem. The previous owners bumped out the wall about 5 feet, laid a subfloor and then carpeted. They didn't continue the doug fir.
I have found a supplier for salvaged doug fir, and intend to feather in the boards. The supplier is milling them to length. I chose to go the easy route and just butt up most of the new boards to the old.
But there are 5 planks that end after going just about 18" or so. I would like to remove these boards and feather in some longer boards to achieve a more random look.
Questions:
1) How should I go about removing the 18" boards without damaging the boards around them? 2) Then, how should I get the longer boards in to place? 3) Are there any special concerns regarding the length of the flooring that I am having milled that I should keep in mind? 4) Would it save me massive headache and trouble to just butt all the new boards up against the old? I feel like it might scream "This is an addition," but I don't know. and finally 5) How long should I let the boards sit in the room before installing to acclimate them to my house?
Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks for your replies!
Ryan
<< 1) How should I go about removing the 18" boards without damaging the boards around them? >>
Slice some material out of the middle of the board (I've done this with a router) and remove the remaing material gently. This should leave the T & G intact.
<< 2) Then, how should I get the longer boards in to place? >>
Tap them in endways, remove interfering T & G parts for good fit. Anchor with construction adhesive to reinforce nailing as necessary.
<< I feel like it might scream "This is an addition," >>
Of course it would. Do it right, do it to please yourself.
<< How long should I let the boards sit in the room before installing to acclimate them to my house? >>
Either a couple of weeks or until the Queen of the Mansion says, "Get that c**p outta there."
HTH
Joe
Is there anyway to use a constrasting colored wood and create a design. Instead of it looking like picemeal it could look like you planned out this great design.
Good Luck