If you have a diesel car, look out.

Your link to the article that shows they don't work please?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does smoke emission correlate well with the emission of toxic small particles? I really don't know, but I'm pretty sure the converse does not apply.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I assumed that the smoke *was* in fact, toxic small particles, BICBW.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's not exactly hard:

Cars have a lifespan of what, 15 years on average? That's 15 years you need to plan ahead[1]. the problem can be managed ahead of the curve without penalising anyone.

Unless you are a knee jerk idiot of a politician of course!

[1] A small proportion of vehicles will last (or be made to last) longer than this - the percentage being small enough to make no difference - like the numbers of 1960s cars on the road today. Saw a Morris Minor 1000 Traveller earlier. Who cares if it's not very environmentally friendly - it was one out of a 1000.
Reply to
Tim Watts

No link, just the evidence of my own eyes. Considering the proportion of diesels now fitted with DPFs, visibly black exhausts ought to be disappearing fast. This is definitely not the case.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The first I drove (a Fiesta 1.6D) beat almost anything from a standing start, but struggled to accelerate once above 30mph.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

None of mine do that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

there's the problem. So it will all pointlessly cost the country billions.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Many of which don't work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't seriously believe official tests?

All hybrids do well in stop start conditions. The whole reason for them. They're totally pointless at cruise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup - very fast from 0-5 mph due to the heavy flywheel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try looking at others, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have no experience with hybrids, but something with a reasonable sized battery and on-board diesel engine to charge it seems possible way to go. The diesel could perhaps be designed to run at a constant maximum efficiency and have appropriate cleaning add-ons if necessary.

All I know is that my diesel vehicles use massively less fuel under long-stop start conditions than any petrol vehicles I've had. It's a huge difference and I do wonder what the petrol engines were throwing out in the way of un or partly burnt fuel when cold.

The evidence seems to be that particulates are mainly from tyres, brakes etc. and these are about 10 times the quantity produced by engines.

It seems to me that many people, even the ones here, are gradually being brainwashed by the drip of anti-diesel propaganda, much of which seems based on hearsay.

When a town near me bans or charges for diesels, I will simply never go or spend money there again. Shame about the shops and businesses, but my policy has worked with parking charges, and has been adopted by others judging by the increasingly ghostly local shopping areas.

Reply to
Bill

As I say, I don't know but i suspect it is mainly larger particles and droplets. It might well correlate with more small particles I suppose.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Thing is, if you walk down any street in london, you always smell a badly cooked curry from a a bangladeshi testaurant.

That nation is reposnib;e for more stale methane than all the fracking put together.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bless. You didnt think this was actually about cleaner air did you?

VAG car sales are down!

The German car workers pensions are in danger!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ther is no visibly black exahaust on my 2005 freelander unless its either just been started or there is a split in the turbo hose.

And that's with the EGR bypassed as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The best pollution - like CO2, NOx and radiation - is *invisble* - that makes it *MUCH* scarier.

Since the whole point of 'pollution' is to enable legislation to increase car sales by German manufacturers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The owner is generally the last person to know though. It?s not easy to watch your own exhaust when you?re hoofing it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yep. An overall 20MPG on my trip to Grimsby last week. Thrashed it all the way. Now if I had set the CC to 70MPH I would have got closer to 35MPG

Reply to
ARW