Keyless Entry - security

I have read of the odd car theft where a device is used to access the code from a keyfob in the house to unlock and steal a car.

I am about to get a car with such a feature.

Is keeping the fob in a metal container in the house any use? Or is it all a bit like tin foil hats?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It is certainly possible. Such kit does exist.

One thing to check is will the car allow you once the engine is started to drive away without any keys with you? This can be embarrassing!

I expect it would work but it wouldn't be very convenient.

I suspect the magic box needs to be moderately near to the key fob to do the transaction so keeping your keys near the middle of the house should be almost good enough. Inside a metal tobacco tin if you are paranoid.

Reply to
Martin Brown

A neighbour had a near new Disco stolen. The type with keyless entry.

On their new replacement (old car never recovered) they have one of those massive crook-lock type thingies on the steering wheel - and keep the keys in some special safe the dealer sold them.

Sounds a great time saver, this keyless system...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DerbyBorn formulated on Tuesday :

Thieves can read the keys remotely, yes - so keeping them in some sort of metal cage is a worthwhile precaution. It needn't be anything special, even a glass ornament with a cooking foil liner is enough.

Likewise, you can prevent contactless debit/credit cards being read in your wallet, by lining the outside pocket of the wallet with cooking foil or similar metalised cooking foil. I have my wallet lined with the plastic foil which ground coffee is sold in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

some info here.

whisky-dave

Better off doing some investigating, and finding a wire that stops the engine when cut. Then fit a microswitch somewhere non-intuitive. And even then, a really determined gang would bring a low loader, and just lift the vehicle.

The best approach might be to register the car at a different address to where it's garaged, if possible.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No its a good idea really. Its a faraday shield.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My neighbour had his car taken even though the key was in a tin. It appears that his ford model has a blind spot on the alarm which lets you break the glass and poke a hole through it near the dash and reprogram the management computer without setting the alarm off. Why they allow re-programming while the alarm is set is anyone's guess.

Reply to
dennis
[19 lines snipped]

Wanna buy a bridge?

Reply to
Huge

CPC sell a range of RF shielded boxes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What experimental evidence have you for these assertions?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Microwaves!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Probably. If the container is portable you could put the key in it then take the container to your car and see if it unlocks. You could repeat with different containers to see which works best.

Perhaps also consider a steering wheel lock:

Gareth

It is cheaper than providing mechanical locks!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Ooh arr

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In the old days you could immobilise a car by shorting the points. The starter worked but the car wouldn't start. You used to be able to buy a switch to do the job which you installed in a concealed location - but you had to remember to set it. After my Mk1 Escort was nicked (and returned with a let down tyre), I made a immobilisation circuit (using a

2-way relay) which set itself when the ignition was turned off, and to reset it required the ignition to be turned on and a concealed button pressed, so I couldn't forget to set it even if I was leaving it for a short time. There were several unsuccessful attempts to nick it subsequently.
Reply to
Max Demian

Go and talk about something you know about disckhead.

Reply to
dennis

For anyone as stupid as huge d*****ad have a look at

I still have the cctv of the thieves too. Not much use in identifying them as it was too dark for the IR illumination as its not intended to work on the other side of the street.

It was only a few months ago.

Reply to
dennis

How does one of these card readers which can work some way from the cards

- ie when in your wallet - differentiate between the different cards?

And surely there has to be a limit on the distance any such device can work at?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A switch across the points might not be the best idea - given the rather high voltage spike when they open, when working normally. Might cause misfires.

If you had an electric pump, better to isolate that. The engine would start, then stop when the carb emptied. And often more difficult to hot wire than an ignition cut out, especially if the pump is in the locked boot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)