simple security device for window

Someone with a basement flat with old wooden frame vertical sliding sash windows wants some simple to fit security device to enable the window to be left open safely a couple of inches whilst no one is in the flat.

Grateful for an suggestions on a simple to fit device.

Reply to
Dave West

Window bars?

Or just an acorn to stop the window being slid open further?

Reply to
GB

my parents' home had what was referred to as a "Burglar catch". This was a dropdown bar recessed into the upper sash when not set. This dropped down with a gravity locking mechanism and prevented the lower sash opening more than a preset amount. I've also come across a tapped plate, againe recessed into the upper sash, into which you could screw a peg to prevent the lower sash getting past. the first is neater and has no parts to get lost. I'm sure any good architectural ironmonger will stock them.

Reply to
charles

Wooden blocks screwed to the inside of the sides of upper sash, unless you want to be able to open it wider at other times.

A trickle vent through the sash or a glass vent would allow ventilation without opening the window, but would be more difficult to fit.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

if original they are usually draughty enough ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Most of the window locks that fit these do this job fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , Dave West writes

These are good:

As the window opens, the lower sash covers the bottom part of the plate which strengthens the retention of the stop if the window is forced.

Ditch the screws they come with, they are too weedy, I think I used 1

1/4" x 10 or possibly 12 to make them a bit more secure.

Always fit in pairs.

With respect to your friend I wouldn't leave any windows open when a place is unoccupied, whatever the security fitted. IMO it attracts the attention of thieves and once they take an interest they will find a way in.

Reply to
fred

Stops are easily overcome by forcing the sashes apart, and a pinned bead is all that prevents the inner sash moving

Reply to
stuart noble

"most"? no ITYM "a few"

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

So don't just pin the beads?

Reply to
fred

+1.

That's fine, except that you'd need to force your way past whatever was holding them in place in the event of having to do any maintenance, such as replacing the sash cords. This would probably severely damage the frame, necessitating new windows...

Reply to
John Williamson

screws? WTF else?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

not enough adjustability

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 20/02/2013 21:06, fred wrote: ...

There is probably a reason why so many basement windows are fitted with bars.

The modern versions are probably less depressing when you are actually in the flat:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Do not forget the need to be able to get out in the case of fire.

Reply to
Gary

Sash windows are not a good choice for a fire exit. A second door is much better and all the basement flats that I know of have both front and back doors.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've used these on mine in the past.

or search for 5010608011907 at diy.com.

Reply to
whisky-dave

wooden frame vertical sliding sash

With respect, we do exactly that on a regular basis, but then we don't live in a Pikey area.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

wooden frame vertical sliding sash

But pikeys are mobile

Reply to
stuart noble

?? How often do you adjust your inner beads then? Assuming you have got any ...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K