Mounting a casement air conditioner in a sliding window

Hi,

Yesterday we bought a Fedder casement window style air conditioner. But, we have double sliding type vinyl windows, about 3' square.

Does anyone have suggestions on installing the AC unit horizontally in such windows? We'd have secure the unit somehow, have the window slide to the side of the unit, and close in the space above the unit.

Thanks!

- Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

Why in the HELL would you do that??

Uhhh, I don't think so, Tim. ($1 ToolTime Al)

The compressor is mounted as to sit in the intended way of orientation, you would likely muck it up big time (break it) by trying to run it while laying on its side.

You need to take out both double hung sections and frame the opening with enough 2x4's and/or firring strips to allow for holding the AC and nailing up a piece to cover the hole to the left or right of it. I wouldn't try doing it -inside- the opening, you would need to go outside of the window on your interior walls and hope you have enough behind it to nail into.

Sell it to somebody else and cut your losses. No there. Seriously, you are in for a *ton* of carpentry work to get that thing SAFELY mounted in your window.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I had a sliding window and decided to upgrade my window to an insulated window that moves up and down and bought a much cheaper regular window AC. Great move on my part as the insulated glass saves me money year around and the AC is half the price of casement units and a much higer efficiency EER.

In your case, there is nothing to fret about. Just insert the AC and fill in with plywood and insulated foam and then plaster and paint and adjust your curtains. I'd advise that heavy black foam rubber to isolate the unit from the frame you build, though. And don't the forget the slope so it drips outside.

Pj

double sliding type vinyl windows,

We'd have secure the unit

above the unit.

Reply to
PJx

We have sliding windows. Apologies for not knowing that a casement window is not the same (definition from

window swings open on hinges attached to the upright side of the frame.

Price is the reason I bought the AC for a double hung sash window.

Thanks for the suggestions on installing. I plan to install it in the proper orientation (horizontally). A Kent Building Supplies person suggested building a wood frame to support the unit, and using something like plexi-glass to fill in the top. The window would slide to the side of the AC unit. He said he did this for a friend, it works well, and allows for easy removal in the winter. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and the winters can be cold, sometimes down to -30C, or about -21F.

So, I'm still looking for ideas.

- Dugie

Reply to
Dugie