Keyless Entry - security

And at home?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Other than on buses, which have a flat fare and, therefore, do not require you to touch out, the only way that TfL can deduct the correct fare for your journey is to know where, exactly, you touched in and touched out.

Obviously there is no way that TfL can work out that you have two or more cards on different accounts so it is vital that you always use the same card to start and finish your journey.

That is hardly a problem is it?

It would be no different in the (unlikely) event that you were carrying two Oyster cards.

Reply to
Terry Casey

But if you have a Railcard you would know that because you would have read the conditions of issue - wouldn't you?

Similarly, you can't have a season ticket loaded onto a credit/debit card but the current system makes it easy for someone who does not possess an Oyster card to use the transport system in London.

The casual visitor, for example, turning up late at night and not being able to buy an Oyster card would not, otherwise, be able to continue their journey by bus as London buses have been cashless for years.

Also, they don't have to buy an Oyster card or go home with unused credit on it that would otherwise be useless to them.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Mine doesn't have a barcode.

Strange they don't use barcodes at polling stations or even RFID.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I heard in some cases the weekly caps on contactless cards v.s. the daily caps on oyster cards can make contactless cheaper for some regular users. But I rarely use TfL, so maybe that disparity has been fixed now?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not a problem, just irritating. The nice thing about contactless cards is not having to take them out of your wallet/bag, and this negates that advantage.

Reply to
Huge

No usually about £20 depending on what I think I might be doing. Today I have 4 cards on me and about £20 in notes a nd a few quid in coins. In about 10mins I'll go buy my lunch and I'll spend £3.50 to £5.

50 depending on deals or what they have. I do NOT feel the need to have £1,500 woth of credit avaiable to me as I leave for lunch.

Now if I were going to buy an imac pro I'd need to rethink this statergy b ut I'm not planing on such a thing this lunchtime, so I'll just check what change I have and also take my bank card and co-op card. There is NO tesco nearby, so that will stay in my draw same with sainsburys card and oyster card.

I carry those cards I am likely to use, this is why I chose not to carry th e kitchen sink too ;-)

I had failures when I was prepared with my tesco club card. Now I only carr y that card when I think I might visit tescos for me this makes sense. it;s also sunny at the moment and a relatively clear sky so I'll take my c o-op card and CC but NOT my umbrella like I do on some other days when I th ink it might rain.

although you'll have to ask Tim what co-op= is

Reply to
whisky-dave

The old card which I still use has a barcode (and magstripe) the RFID card has no barcode or magstripe, so has never been used.

You don't need to take the postcard or any form of ID to the polling station.

I remember one of the european parliament ballot papers did have a barcode on it, which I obliterated (probably meant my vote wasn't counted). Yes I know they record the ballot paper number against your name and those paper recirds are archived off somewhere in case they need to investigate fraud, but computerising it makes it rather easier to do a reverse lookup.

Reply to
Andy Burns

therefore I would worry more about how much it will cost you even if it isn't stolen ......

Reply to
J1MBO ...

You really are weird aren't you dave.

You take two and two and come up with 54 (notice, that's not a maths question and it never was).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Extremely unlikely. Daily and weekly caps were in existence long before all RFID cards were accepted. The principle that is used is that the cap most beneficial to the user will be applied.

Random usage over a period of several weeks might mean that a weekly cap is applied some weeks but, in others, the level of use drops slightly below the weekly cap level and appropriate daily caps are applied instead.

The fares and caps are available on the TfL website if you want to experiment with a choice of scenarios.

Reply to
Terry Casey

y co-op card and CC but NOT my umbrella like I do on some other days when I think it might rain.

Well I don't know what co-op= is I've no idea. I know what the co-op is as I've just been there. Maybe I'm weird because I check things or can see through things that other s can't is that what you mean by weird ?

I've never done that only you have done that. you're the one claiming 2+2 is 4 and then you said 54!.

why are yuo saying 54! is 4 ?

I even told you what 2+2 means to me, not alot except perhaps a poker site or publishing site. I bet you think 42 is some sort of answer to the meaning of life or someth ing but it doesn't it's just a number picked at random and has no real mean ing according to Douglas adams, but you like the great unwashed majority se em to think it has some hideen meaning, it doesn't get over it.

stick with the facts rather than what you think it meant.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes I know and that is why I believe the system is open to certain types of fraud, people seem to be able to point out the problems with on-line fraud but NOT the current system which they seem to think is as close to perfect as you can get.

I don't understand why ballot papers can't be counted almost immedialty rather that wait until the polling station closes. Didnlt even babage came out with a sytem off holes and how a machine could be use to count the holes and where they appeared.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Really? You can insert a card and enter the PIN just as quickly as swiping it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No thanks, I'll leave that to people who enjoy that sort of thing

Reply to
Andy Burns

At least not for the moment. The Government are thinking of introducing an ID requirement.

Reply to
Huge

There are many different versions of co-op. It doesn't mean just your local shop called that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So what sort of question were you forming if 2+2 isn't a maths question how did you come up with 4 ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

I really can't see why we can't have identity cards. Not meaning they'd have to be carried at all times, of course. But would be very useful for this sort of thing. And any thing else where identity proof is needed. For those who don't have a driving licence. Passport. Travel card. Works identity card etc. Ie, very, very few.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

First you say you can't count the number of people who don't vote and then you say they had a machine that could count the absence of something (paper or card) in the 1800's!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m