Keyless Entry - security

On 18/01/2018 15:56, Andy Burns wrote:

What would be the problem with that? Having to carry ID isn't a problem, who has the right to see it is. If you can't provide ID the police can arrest you until you do provide ID if they need/want to.

That's because you're a lefty.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 18th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

Me too and my wife says I am on the purple side of blue:-)
--
Tim Lamb

Is it time to dig out my No2ID T-shirt again?
--
Today is Pungenday, the 18th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

Yes. Nothing to hide- unlike so many Tories.
--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 14:37:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
Me neither.

Yup. As long as it *was* accepted for all such needs.

Old, paper, no photo. ;-(

Nope.

Nope.

Not any more.

Cheers, T i m

So was mine. Give it a few years. ;-)
--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sex?.?.just don't point!

How are you going to get the photo verified if you don't have a tame vicar?
--
Max Demian

Another one of the 17,262,326 ways that ID cards are a stupid idea.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 18th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 18/01/2018 23:08, Huge wrote:

I have lived in two countries with ID cards - Japan and Belgium. They work perfectly well although you have to carry them they are seldom needed unless you are doing something that requires checking ID or get yourself arrested. In the latter case failing to carry ID is added to the list of charges if you do not produce the card when arrested.
It is a lot easier than having to take fingerprints of suspects on the spot (my Japanese ID card had my fingerprint on it - and you should see the Americans squeal about having their fingerprints taken for the ID card). It is done with invisible UV ink to avoid giving offence.
What about the list A list B crap that UK banks use as "proof of ID"?
It is trivial to forge a utility bill and most are now online only so come as a poxy JPG in a PDF - you can fake one in minutes. The only people who are inconvenienced by banks wanting proof of ID are genuine customers. Money launderers know exactly where to go to get adequately forged documents to meet their needs and banks are happy to accept them.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I'm really not sure why people are so against identity cards. But are happy enough to have to use other means when needed (or do without the service that needs proof of identity - unlikely). As has been stated, not everyone had a driving licence etc.
--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Orwell, 1984?
Post WW2 reaction to identity carrying required by occupation forces?

--
Tim Lamb

We seem to be happy enough to have about the highest density of CCTV cameras anywhere.
So big brother really is watching you.
--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

On Friday, 19 January 2018 13:29:32 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No big brother is a TV program, and in orwells 1984 computers didnlt exist and neither did the media, wasnt it huxley that got closser to reality

Perhaps post WW2 reaction to officious police, air raid wardens and petty officials demanding ID?
--

Roger Hayter

I suspect reaction to what was happening in South Africa.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Bully for you.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/2583871/five-reasons-why-national-id-cards-are-a-bad-idea.html
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/30/id_card_report/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/philipjohnston/7809945/ID-cards-were-a-bad-idea-from-the-start.html
https://www.no2id.net/
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 20th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

Christ on a bicycle. By going down in person. Even staff at council offices ought to be able to look at you, look at the photo, and agree these are the same person. They're only going to make you such a card if you're on the electoral register, so bringing up your details and scanning the photo to go on the card should be the work of a moment.
--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an
Tim Streater wrote:

And if they require ID before they'll *put* you on the electoral register?

But they don't. The card is as id when voting and for any other purpose you need it for.
--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!