Can I just disconnect the MR16 GU5.3 halogen downlighters and leave the bulbs in situ?

Suppose I decided to get rid of the halogen downlighters altogether. Can I just disconnect them? That is, remove the spring ring, pull the connector off the bulb, then put the bulb and spring ring back in?

Or will each bulb's transformer overheat without any load on it?

I could then reinstate the halogens at any time simply by reconnecting them.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yes.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't see a problem except you are wasting a tiny current on each transformer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I convinced the local knob head know it all down at my local pub (you know the sort of person) that it costs more to run a transformer without a lamp connected to it than with a lamp connected to it due to power factor corrections.

Easily done as he had had a few beers and I got the local paedo maths teacher[1] who was in the pub to back me up on my made up maths.

[1] alleged - but we all know he cannot tell the difference between 15 and 16.
Reply to
ARW

I hope he knows that it wouldn't matter if they were 21 if they were his students...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Just as long as it's safe to do this.