Where can I buy this ODD SIZE PVC?

I have two small pieces of 2-1/2" SCHEDULE 20 that I found, but I need several longer pieces for a non-plumbing project. I want to make some pneumatic beer-can launchers (for aerial shooting practice). 2-1/2" schedule 20 is an ideal slip fit for a standard beer can.

The local Home Depot and Lowe's both say it doesn't exist until I show them my sample, but still can't get any for me. The samples I have are dark gray in color.

I've been looking for several years, off and on, and have never found a plumbing store that had this stuff.

thanks,

Martin

Reply to
Remove SPAM From Address to Re

try an electrical supply house grey pipe is for wires not liquids.......except beer!

Reply to
Glen Good

Grey in color? It is probably electrical conduit..

found

Reply to
PJ

The gray color makes me think it might be electrical conduit.

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Can you put some sort of stuffing around the beer can to make up the tight fit? The idea is from the sub caliber munitions used in tank cannons.

Reply to
KLM

DO NOT USE PVC FOR THIS!!!

PVC has a very nasty habit of fragmenting under shock-loads. If you must, at least wrap it with wire, so that if it does fracture, the bits can't get into people. HDPE is better, as it doesn't do this.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

it is called "pb" pipe it is a light pvc used for underground electric lines, try a electrical supply house.

Reply to
Trvis Thompson

What about ABS? I've become a fan of ABS since doing my own DWV plumbing.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I don't know. I do know that the pyrotechnics guys make mortars for launching shells out of HDPE, as it fails benignly, tending to bulge or tear, rather than fly into little shards that embed themselves in flesh. (steel tubes are also common, as are cardboard, for one-time use)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Look at how the FAA makes the pneumatic chicken cannon and the pneumatic turkey cannons. They use them to qualify aircraft windshields. You might find some good alternatives that are safer.

RB

Remove SPAM From Address to Reply wrote:

Reply to
RB

A beer can sabot!

Reply to
John Gilmer

The really dark grey is schedule 80 pipe. Light grey is electrical.

Check with a commercial plumbing house. If they do not carry it, they should know who does in your area.

Might look here:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

I need

make some

2-1/2"

I show

have

found

Reply to
DanG

Try looking here:

its also known as irrigation pipe:

"PVC Pipe Schedule 20 (a/k/a IPS and Thin Wall) Pipe Outside Diameters have as of January 2001 been verified as consistent with those industry standard dimensions also specified in ASTM D 2241 - 00. The PVC pipe referred to in this Table is poly(vinyl chloride) PVC pipe for use in the distribution of pressurized liquids only, and is typically used in irrigation systems."

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

Not necessarilly, as I have several lengths of grey Schedule 80 PVC. About 1 1.4 inch OD, more or less, IIRC.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

And Schedule 80 is THICK walled. Real thick.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

This is Turtle.

Unless your in love with PVC , You could look at 2 1/2 inch Electrical Metal EMT and would take a better use by firing out of it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hey Martin,

I seem to recall that the "pipe" used for centra-vac (residential central vacuum) systems is a "weird" size. I don't know much about aluminum cans, but I'm sure they also come in lots of weird sizes.

Take care.

Brian Laws>I have two small pieces of 2-1/2" SCHEDULE 20 that I found, but I need

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Could do that, and use larger (more available) pipe, but saboting is an undesirable trouble I'd rather avoid.

thanks,

Martin

Reply to
Remove SPAM From Address to Re

At this point, we're not certain it's PVC. Actually, it may not be, owing to the coloration. When I find the off-the-shelf material that matches what I have, then I'll know.

thanks,

Martin

Reply to
Remove SPAM From Address to Re

and would take a better use by firing out of it.

Wrong I.D., and no gas-tight fittings easily available. Probably the interior would be marred by a seam as well.