Diesel scrappage

I hear an MP is suggesting a scrappage scheme for diesel cars.

If there are 31 million cars on the road and 38% of them are diesel, does he really think a £100m scheme providing an average of £8/car is going to cut it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Virtue signalling is about concepts, not sums.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who is going to pay for the ones on the Island of Sodor?

Reply to
ARW

especially if the car was worth quite a bit. Last year, I traded in a 3yo Mazda estate (for a new one) and I got £15k in part exchange

Reply to
charles

Any idea what happened to Diesels 1 to 8?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It'll be restricted to 10 YO cars

I also read that they might just restrict it to cars registered in cities with a pollution problem

tim

Reply to
tim...

That's not what it's worth, thats what a dealer is prepared to pay to get rid of a car from his stock! Realistically, rule of thumb, a car loses 30% of its price on sale, then a further 10% of it's price per 10K miles per annum. At 100K miles, or 10 years, it is essentially worthless. If you pay more than this, that's your loss.

Reply to
Capitol

my 100k 13 year old car is still worth 3 grand

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've not changed a car for a good few years, but did a maths modelling of 2nd hand car prices a very good few years ago... as part of an Open University project (using some reliable data and Glass's Guide). At that time... a ten year old mini was worth more than a ten year old jag. Trade in prices are also miss leading. I'd bought a new mini, cash, at a good discount but saw a year old one at a nearby garage for more! A friend inherited his fathers car, as when he took it in as a trade in, the salesman walked round, thought, and then offered a trade in value, but then walked round again, and offered more off the new car if he took the old one away!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chisholm

The (proposed) scrappage scheme is geographically based, so your figures are irrelevant.

Reply to
Huge

So to be even vaguely worthwhile (a grand or two) it will need to be highly selective, applying to 0.5 to 1% of all cars?

Presumably these will be in marginal constituencies, then ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Capitol writes

Well, I'm still in the market for a 10yo diesel automatic Disco.

Yes, essentially worthless, and I have the appropriate cash waiting.

Reply to
Bill

Privatised and given new numbers?

Reply to
ARW

Richard

Well, I think to be honest they would need to limit this to the very polluting.

Did they not develop a particulate filter some years ago, for this problem, or is the issue that its very costly to make and needs to be cleaned out too often.

Its interesting, living near an industrial estate, to note that you can stand right by modern diesel exhausts and they do not smell or make smoke etc, but if its a few years older, such as you might find in post office vans, you are choking in seconds. Modern diesels are a lot better, just not as much better as the perfect test results would have you believe of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

AIUI modern diesel cars have a filter to take out the PM10 or PM2 carbon particulates. But like any filter, after a while it gets 'full' and starts to choke. Again AIUI, it requires a longish run from time to time to get the filter hot enough to burn off the carbon. If you only ever do short runs, you may have problems.

I have a ten-year-old diesel (Ford Fusion). It has no filters of any sort. When I replace it, I'll get a petrol car, simply because I only do short journeys and the obligatory carbon filter would probably get bunged up. I don't particularly relish having to drive an unnecessary and longish journey, weekly, simply to clear it.

But particulate carbon isn't the only problem. Because of the hotter combustion temperatures, diesels emit more NOx, which seems to be the main point of issue ATM. I gather there may be catalytic NOx filters, but the current fuss suggests they don't work very well.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They consume urea.

Which need regular topping up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :

Partially solved at low engine speeds by an EGR, problem is that the EGR's on a diesel need to be regularly cleaned out and no manufacturer has them on their service list to be cleaned. The net result is a diesel engine with a choked up intake system.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's at least one on my breakdowns explained. Dunno why they swapped it a second time after 2000 miles on a different breakdown.

Reply to
ARW

In message , Chris Hogg writes

Making a decision now is certainly difficult. We only manage 5-6,000 miles a year, minimum journey 10 miles, average 50 and, once a year,

500. All each way. I keep looking at the Dacia Duster, and have spoken to as many drivers as possible, and have not yet found anyone with a bad word to say about them, except that the diesel is preferable to the petrol engine.

Very tempting, given the price.

Reply to
Graeme