Petrol or Diesel car?

I always went for diesel in the past, but now, with it being so much more expensive than petrol, am i better going with petrol instead? I.e. instead of a ford focus 1.8 diesel, buy a 1.4 petrol?
Any opinions?
Steve
Mr Sandman wrote:

How may would you like? I can give you at least three.
But for a sensible answer I would need to know estimated annual mileage, how long you intend to keep the car, and your driving style. The last at least I cannot possibly know.
Andy
Mr Sandman wrote:

Do the sums.
And dont forget maintenance..

..and the agricultural sounds, vibrations and performance of a diesel.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:17:42 -0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

With 170bhp and 400Nm torque, mine performs just fine. Also, motorway cruising at 70-ish, it delivers around 50mpg.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:03:14 +0000, Appelation Controlee wrote:

How's that compare to an average petrol car in terms of fuel cost only? I've lost the plot as to what's going on with UK fuel prices these days :(

Think of it as using about 30% less fuel, but paying 15% more per litre than petrol. Overall, the fuel advantage is about 15%.
Servicing a diesel costs less, at least until you need to replace a turbo, diesel cars being more likely to have a turbo than petrol cars.
A diesel car costs less to tax than a similar capacity petrol model because of the lower CO2 emissions. However, you can usually get away with a smaller petrol engine for the same performance.
A diesel car costs a little more to buy but depreciates less.
My last two cars have been diesels but my next will be a petrol. The higher cost of a litre of diesel means that the cost advantage over petrol is a lot less than it used to be, and the driveability is still nowhere near as good.

Unless you do very high mileages, diesel cars are just not worth it. Then there is drivability, noise, smelly, vibrations, agricultural sounds, etc. A waste of time. They resell a bit more than petrol, but only because of ignorance that diesels are somehow more reliable, which is an old wives tale.
Then when a turbo goes, any financial advantage, which is so slim if any, is shot to pieces.
Buy a Honda or Toyota petrol car. Economical and highly reliable. Preferably buy a Prius.

Clearly you have not driven an Audi or similar marque produced in the past 10 years or you would know that none of the above apply.

I drove a Peugeot turbo diesel. Diesel cars are waste of time for the many reasons given.

So Le Mans has been won for the past 3 years in a row by an undriveable car? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10

Take a trip to your local Audi dealer then come back and say these again. The vast majority of people would not be able to tell that my Audi is a diesel, either from the outside or the inside.
noise, smelly, vibrations, agricultural sounds,

The idea that people cannot tell that these cars have diesel engines is a complete myth.
My Audi A6 diesel (2.5 TDI V6) sounded like a truck. My Skoda Octavia sounds even louder, as did its predecessor (2.0 followed 1.9 TDi). All were noisy from new.

So Le Mans has been won for the past 3 years in a row by an undriveable car? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10 <<<<
So pointless. They go Mach 2 in jets, I don't see them in cars.

Take a trip to your local Audi dealer then come back and say these again. The vast majority of people would not be able to tell that my Audi is a diesel, either from the outside or the inside. <<<<
What I wrote still stands. Next time buy a proper car like a Prius.

Appalling, truly appalling.

Yes. You've obviously never driven a proper racing car.
--
"Please try to understand, the one you call Messiah is a lie."
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

Correct, nearest I've got was probably an AC Cobra about 25 years ago. My point was that if Audi can build a diesel car that can win Le Mans 3 years in a row then driveability can't be much of an issue.

So, not only have you never driven a proper racing car, you don't know what "driveability" means.
--
"Please try to understand, the one you call Messiah is a lie."
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
In article

Since when did 'driveability' have anything to do with racing? To me it means all sort of things like being able to drive the car very slowly as well as fast.
--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

There's a difference between a delivery van and a car.
--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Please eff off as you are total idiotic plantpot.
London SW