Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

Folks,

Ive joined the ranks of idiots that accidentally went for the nice green pump at the petrol station instead of the smelly black one!

Thankfully, I realised DURING filling, so stopped (of course!) and DID NOT start the engine. So having spoken with a few knowledgeable friends, I believe I can now just do as much as I can on the "remove and refill" front.

What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil petrol I remove?! I know halfords do oil disposal, but petrol too?? Or perhaps just my friendly neighbourhood mechanic would take it for a few quid?

(What REALLY annoys me about this is that my father did the same thing a few weeks back, and I found it quite funny. I've stopped laughing now!)

Thoughts and suggestions invited

Cheers

Steve, feeling particularly annoyed with himself.

Reply to
Steve Hall

AIUI, if you mix petrol in low volumes (10% or so), there should not be a problem. So, you could just buy a large petrol can, and then top up with the appropriate amount of this and proper diesel as you go.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

how much petrol did you put in ?

diesel engines will run happily (well, within boundaries) on petrol/diesel mix as long as there's more diesel if there's not too much petrol, top it up with diesel and keep topping it up so the ratio gets weaker fairly quickly then run it nearly dry and fill up with diesel that's what I did anyway and it was fine, about £10 was petrol but the tank held £60 so I just filled it up. I aint a mechanic so don't take that as gospel, ask a mechanic, but our car has done 160k miles and is still running sweet as a nut.

Reply to
in2minds

But if the American had some common sense makers wouldn't need to spell out in words of one syllable what you shouldn't use a particular device for. The "it must be safe because I haven't be told it isn't" attitude is the first step to getting a Darwin Award.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Rick Dipper" wrote

As a Dutch colleague said to me:

Germany: It's forbidden unless it's permitted. England: It's permitted unless it's forbidden. Italy: It's permitted *especially* if it's forbidden.

Steve S

Reply to
SteveS

Singapore is the total opposite, you are not allowed to do it, unless the government has said you can .......

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Or the british woman who ignored the warning not to mix pool cleaning chemicals in the same bucket:

"she accepts she did not correctly follow the instructions - which state that the chemicals should not be mixed in the same container - she says the labelling did not warn of the possibility of an explosion"

Sorry, but I have no sympathy.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

And tend to get a poor response, not to mention many newsagents being reluctant to offer this, as it's very uncomfortable.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

JUST HAD TO STICK THIS IN AT THIS POINT. DOES YOUR COMMENT ABOVE EXPLAIN WHY THE YANKS HAVE THE STRONGEST ECONOMY, LOWEST TAXES AND CHEAPEST LUXURY LIFE STYLE IN THEY WORLD.

> "she accepts she did not correctly follow the instructions - which

Reply to
Jimbo

The US exceeds the British on these points because of land, yes land. Sounds bizarre, but true. We, 60 million of us, are all rammed into just above 7% of the land mass. This creates an artificial land shortage ramping up land prices to the point were 2/3 of the value of the average home id the land value. Ludicrous. The hype about consumer debt omits that 80% of this debt is mortgage to out a small poorly built roof over ours heads.

free land availability: means -> lower land prices, means -> cheaper commercial rents, means -> more competitive in the world market place means -> cheaper and larger homes. menas -> the wife would not have to work to help pay the mortgage and be at home means -> less delinquency because of the latch-key kids.

The UK could easily be the world's No. 1 in standard of living and quality of life if we dropped the Medieval land/planning system we have.

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

He's right..for once....

Reply to
tony sayer

A few years ago, there was a chap on TV who owned a second world war tank. Apparently, it would run on all sorts of fuel. One of the vehicle recovery services used to pass on contaminated fuel that they would drain from vehicles to run the tank.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Crematoriums work at 1,000 degrees C. If you can get a bonfire upto that temperature then that's impressive.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Ummmm.. Other way round I think......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

YANKS are southern americians, northerners are insulted by the term.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Reply to
Huge

Totally correct. The US write simple clear English. I always use the US book Elements of Style of English by Strunck & White. The only way to write English.

They also think clearer when forming sentences in their head to speak. Look at the average American being interviewed on TV. First time on TV and they sound as if they are seasoned presenters.

The Brits are weary of anything new that has not been tried. Modern, poorly designed and built flats and houses were built in the 1950-60s, so anything new, or new looking, is regarded with suspicion. Although they are fed propaganda to keep the old and reject the new in housing, and that our countryside is sacrosanct and beautiful, which it isn't for 90% of it. All to do with vested landed interest.

They are not techophobic, with at one time having more PCs per head than any other country in the world.

recommended

Reply to
IMM

Actually the real reason is obvious when you go there.

We mined and farmed and bred whilst Indians were just whooping and hollering.

We are stuck with bugger all natural resources, whilst the colonists went over and stole the land, and are busy mining and farming and breeding.

Ecventually the resources will be exahusted, the country will be overpopulated and polluted, and then it will be just as miserable as anywhere else. More miserable, because at least we have a system with dealing with the social issues that arise, but Merkins don't have any system apart from crash burn pillage shoot steal and rape.

Zero to do with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Rebels are the southerners. Or confederates. Or is it Dixie landers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But at lest they know how to spell.

How can you be weary of anything you haven't tried?

I am really weary of you tho. Piss off, there's a good chap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher