Using diesel fiel in your homes oil burner/boiler

I have seen many posts agreeing that the two are pretty much interchangeable. Yet most people replied that diesel is either a tad more expensive but in most areas almost the same exact price, except that diesel also has road use taxes. So why bother using diesel to heat a home? Well I can tell you exactly why in my case! I live in the Northeast (New England) and around here all oil companies have a 100 gallon minimum delivery service! (One or two will deliver 50 but with a penalty i.e. more per gallon plus a $15 delivery fee!) That being said, average per gal. around here is apx. $3.296-$3.496, it will cost you between $320-$340 per delivery! As a single mother of 3 it's not always easy to pay that much for oil since gauging it's usage to aline with my budget is nearly impossible, so in a pinch paying to fill two

5 gal cans with diesel is way better than cold showers or freezing to death waiting to save up the money for oil!
Reply to
Andrea Parga

Thanks Chris! Is kerosene cheaper than diesel? That would be terrific! Then again I wonder if kerosene would burn quicker since it's a thinner more clarified oil? Or does that even matter?

Reply to
Andrea Parga

It's not cheaper.

You're far better off finding the means to build a buffer of fuel oil and then start saving for the next fill up. Instead of waiting till you are out and not having the money. In the end you are paying more for the same thing. And if you have a tight budget that's not the mindset that will ever get you out of the hole.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Ok perhaps I generalized a bit much! I'm in no hole, but there will be times when my oil runs out the same week I paid $1,400 for rent! Thus making another $300+ manifest for oil a near impossibility! But buying

5-10 gals of diesel to tie us over is fine by me, as I had originally stated, "in a pinch". Anyhow if I could prevent my hard earned money from being pocketed by these stingy oil companies forever I'd die happy! Why have a minimum 100 gal delivery at all? Why not let me throw in 20 gals for $80 or so dollars weekly or bi-weekly? Seriously, why not?
Reply to
Andrea Parga

Wrote you a reply but alas, all was lost! Not sure why but was too lengthy to write again...the basic message was that I'm in no hole, but running out of oil on rent week necessitates the use of diesel from time to time. And lastly the distaste for greedy oil companies that impose 100 gal minimums! Why? Why not let me throw in $80 worth (that'd be around 20gals) on a weekly or bi-weekly basis? Seriously why not???

Reply to
Andrea Parga

Because unlike the gas station where you buy diesel they have to send a truck out to you to deliver those 20 gallons. You may think they are greedy oil companies, but around here and in my experience, the companies making home delivery of oil are just small, local businessmen. Just like the station that pumps gas, their markup isn't much at all. I don't think a 100 gallon minimum is at all unreasonable.

And don't know what kind of oil burner/boiler you have but 20 gallons would not last long in any house I've owned. I've also seen the most problems with clogged nozzles in oil burners from situations where people regularly let the tank get empty or close to it.

Reply to
trader4

I thought I already covered that. What does it cost when you call anyone to your house for any kind of service today? Almost any appliance repair guy, electrician, HVAC, etc is going to have a minimum service call fee of $50+ to just show up and spend even 15 mins. To expect an oil company to provide a delivery service for $80 of oil is unrealistic. I'm beginning to think you're a troll.

Reply to
trader4

Because their profit margin on the $80 worth of oil is probably $5 or $10. They have to buy fuel for the truck, pay the guy that drives the truck and keep the truck in repair. Why should they lose money because you can't manage your money?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The true answer to your problem is BUDGET. Put aside money to get a full delivery out of each pay check and don't touch it for anything else. Basically your outlook is that yu are somehow not over paying for fuel by buing 5-10 gals. WRONG you are paying a premium.

Others have answered you question about the fee for delivery. Because is costs the company money to run the truck out to your place and they are not going do it for free for a few gallons because you can't budget your finances.

Sorry for the rather harsh tone but others have tried to say it nicely and you are _still_ saying the same thing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I agree, she has to budget. She could also put on a credit card and only differential would be interest which would be less than the minimum penalty.

I've seen neighbor carting 5 gal cans of kerosene up the hill in the winter because he failed to put in enough buffer of oil for the days the trucks could not get up our hill. Stupid.

Reply to
Frank

This is not a "hey i can use diesel fuel instead of No 2 oil" thing...

This is a basic Home Budgeting 101 issue...

Put $100 a week into an envelope marked "heating oil"...

That way when the oil runs out at the end of the month, you have the money saved up for it...

Your problem *IS* financial -- poor budgeting... Your oil tank is how many gallons ? 250 ? Buying the minimum they will deliver also seems to be part of your problem...

Buy a $5 timer and time the showers and improve your budgeting skills...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

glegroups.com...

How many times do you have to be told? BECAUSE IT COSTS THEM TOO MUCH MONEY TO RUN THE FRIPPING TRUCK OUT TO A DITZ THAT ONLY WANTS 10 GALLONS.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hahaha! U dummies (sorry had to say it) I wasn't repeating myself! If you had read my first message correctly you all would know that the second "supposed" repetative message was in fact my original lengthy message that failed to post! Hence the quick summation of that original message in a separate post! Seems the original message finally did post! Lol! Which at a glance looked as though I was Polly the repeating parrot! I was asking that question in all honesty and some of you gave me the insight I was looking for! As for the others so quick to judge and preach about budget this and that!!! Why I even find myself compelled to respond is beyond me right now but here it is nonetheless....Not only am I a single widowed parent of 3 (my husband died fighting for our country!) my sole income is not the easiest to budget when you live check to check, I find I run out of oil unexpectedly hating the thought of entering my creepy basement to even check the gauge! Lol! The way I usually find out is one of the kids screaming because their shower just became an ice bath! So buying oil

100 gals at a time isn't always feasible for me if I've just paid rent, or more recent ly
Reply to
Andrea Parga

School clothes! So diesel in that pinch works for me! And I get the whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think they should have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy less oil at a time!

Reply to
Andrea Parga

"Andrea Parga" wrote

You'd be amazed at how little profit they make on a hundred gallon delivery. Some want 150 gallons now. The driver's time to fill 200 gallons is not much more than pumping only 20 gallons, so the cost of the truck, insurance, wear on tires, labor, is about the same. The overhead goes up 10X with the

20 gallon delivery you want. How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for that service?

It is up to you to get some oil before the rent is due. Get on a 10 month budget plan and automatic delivery and stop worrying. Pay with a credit card and you have a month to pay the bill.

Seems like you are blaming others for your problem. You know you'll need oil so start now. Get a delivery this week, top it off before the really cold weather starts to suck it down. Another alternative is to move to a place with lower rent. Maybe a better insulated place with lower bills for heat.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ooglegroups.com...

Harry, please read my recent reply, then go back and re-read the two messages...if you care to that is. I'm sure you will ascertain I am the furthest thing from a ditz! :-) However should you not, that's okay too Jesus loves you and I do too God bless! Now I'm off to take a nice extremely long extra hot shower, with water heated by my lowly

5gal jug of diesel! ;-)
Reply to
Andrea Parga

edoilso start now. =A0Get a delivery this week, top it off before the reall= y

Why is everybody taking this post to such an extreme? I lost my husband in Iraq a year ago okay I posted this today to get some insight on why 100 gals. all the time and got some great answers..then a glitch posted one of my replies twice in error...so one idiot says it must be my budgeting? Wth? I filled the tank with oil not too long ago and it just so happened to run out on a bad week i.e. rent, school clothes for my 14,12, and 3 year old children, so this week diesel won! Thats all I was saying!

Reply to
Andrea Parga

Why? List what's in it for them, other than charging their rich customers more to make up for the loss.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you have a car you know how much it costs to operate. Just consider how much it costs to operate a liquid fuels delivery truck.

It is easy to think that the local oil company is simply putting all of the money they charge in their pocket. So you say to yourself "I ordered

100 gallons so they just made $400". Reality is they have to purchase the fuel for not much less than they are selling it to you and equipment such as the trucks and they pay someone and work on a small percentage to cover those costs.
Reply to
George

Would you be willing to pay the excess cost then? Supposed you called and said "bring 10 gallons over" and they said sure but we need to charge $30 more for such a small delivery. Remember the oil delivery company isn't putting all of that money into their pocket as you imagine. Their driver takes the truck to the fuel depot and fills it and they pay not much less for the oil than they charge you.

Reply to
George