Petrol or Diesel car?

"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You do talk some complete bollocks.

The one I drove was lethargic at best, unless you thrashed it like a ginger stepchild, at which point it was unpleasantly loud. I averaged

Reply to
Adrian

Doctor Drivel

News to me as well. Can we have a reference?

A Prius diesel ought to be seriously efficient. Unlike the petrol one.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Andy Champ gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A Prius diesel ought to be seriously efficient. Unlike the petrol one. Shame that neither the Japanese or American markets - the big ones for hybrids like the Pious - "do" diesels at all.

Looks like the first diesel-hybrids will be from PSA - the 308 & C4 HDi hybrids are thought to be hitting the markets in about a year.

Reply to
Adrian

Just 'cos it's sun and planet doesn't make it not a gearbox.

No mechanical clutch *is* a worthwhile feature, especially to owners of dual-mass flywheels. But I'm not convinced that two electric motors and a darnn great battery pack count as simpler than a clutch.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The petrol Prius us seriously efficient. The new model returns 60mpg, US mixed cycle about 70mpg around London. It uses a sort of Atkins cycle.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sensible people. Diesel engines stink in all respects.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Read the explanation I posted.

Read the explanation I posted. The Prius has:

1) small massive power/weight electric motor, 2) an IC engine 3) a power splitter which is a simple, small planetary gear cluster. 4) Battery pack

An diesel IC engine has:

1) noisy, heavy and large engine 2) large power sapping in-line transmission 3) Clutch 4) Dual-mass flywheel 5) electric motor to spin the engine 6) battery pack 7) turbo

No contest, the Prius wins hands down. The Prius tops the JD Power survey for the most reliable car. They are super reliable and super quite and emits far, far less emissions. Fantastic!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I wonder who all those people parked on the M25/M6 are?

Reply to
dennis

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

I think the time has come to repeat part of what I first posted on 1st December last which is a quote from a FOI request.

"The Government Car and Despatch Agency (GCDA), an executive Agency of the Department for Transport, operates a fleet 104 Toyota Prius. The Agency does monitor the fuel consumption of its vehicles. Its latest report shows that the average fuel consumption of the Toyota Prius fleet was 42.69 mpg. The worst example is an average of 32.45 mpg and the best example is an average of 51.49 mpg."

Not exactly brilliant performance is it.

The MGB wasn't brilliant either when it was introduced in 1962 and was even more sluggish by the time it finally died in 1980 but even the slowest was good for a top speed of 98mph. Dribbles 85 mph max is way out but paradoxically probably a good deal more accurate than most of the nonsense he spouts.

I wonder if his MGB had a DB numberplate. :-)

Reply to
Roger

Yep the whole 60 odd million of us. And the Prius does well in bumper to bumper traffic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It doesn't tally with others - the US official test was at 60mpg. The Prius doesn't kill the plant. And is swish...................

Roger drive a tractor - you deserve each other.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Prius drivers saving up for new batteries?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, but it was. You could choose diesel or petrol models.

That was the Mk1. The Mk2 is petrol only, as will be the Mk3. The Mk3 can also be charged from AC mains, which should make it a lot more useful - and cheaper to run in town.

The Chevy Volt is playing catch-up.

Reply to
Bruce

The Mk 3 is not chargeable from the mains from what I understand. It was introduced last week. It has roof solar panel.

It is driven by electric motors only.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

[snip]

When Autocar tested the original Prius, their overall consumption including performance testing was 24 mpg. More telling, their suburban route test that all their cars do came out at under 40 mpg - and worse than a BMW 320d which is a much faster car.

In the US Toyota was forced to change the overall consumption figure they claimed from approx 60 mpg to 45 after complaints.

I had one of the early ones on loan for a week. It was good on fuel in heavy town traffic - but absolutely hopeless on the open road and unpleasant to drive. If I were in the market for a town car *only* I'd want something very much smaller than it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So it replaces the gearbox with electric motors, a battery pack and clever electronics. Nice and simple, that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Toyota claim that. They were forced to change their claims on the last model.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More lies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The reason there aren't diesel hybrids is they don't show the same sort of 'savings' in fuel on paper that the Prius does.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)