Petrol or Diesel car?

Read what I wrote!!! Stop telling yourself lies and believing them. Average driving for me is a mix of motorway and urban, it is for most people.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

US gallons or UK gallons?

Reply to
Jules

for me and many people most mileage is on motorways. The Prius is OK for city only drivers where the better option is possibly PT. Even round London most of my mileage is on the M25 (and no it isn't a virtual car park most of the time).

Reply to
clumsy bastard

you are becoming tedious, my personal experience of BMW 3 series petrol and diesel tell me the driving experience of the diesel is just as good as the petrol, road tests tell me the Prius is nothing special for fuel consumption. You go on about complex diesels and choose instead one of the most complex modest cars on the road.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

it has a gearbox, it has regenerative braking, it has two engines, how is this so simple?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Most people do not go on motorways much at all. And as you have ignored, the new Prius does 60mpg mixed highway and urban (US test). More in 80-90% urban, as most people do.

The cars also does not pollute like a crap diesel. And the ride is unrivalled. It is wroth buying for the ride alone. But you like tractors that may cost fortune to fix when the complex bits fail. £800 to change a clutch!! The Prius doesn't have one and not even and in-line gearbox either. The new Chevy Volt will no mechanical transmission whatsoever.

Stop telling yourself lies and believing them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

UK

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Its not just motorways, its the major road system of the country for which the Prius isnt anything to get excited about.

As I said if you stay in town all the time use public transport, those of us who actually go anywhere will not be getting a Prius.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I have one. It is doing just under 60mpg. And I do mixed motorway and city. About 75/25%. When in city only, it does around 65mpg. I does not hang about, it is brisk. 100mpg top end which I have never reached - the MGB did only 85mph. The new Prius is even better. It is better looking, longer, wider, faster acceleration an greater economy...and still the brilliant unrivalled drive. We shall see what the Chevy Volt does.

Don't read propaganda, of which much has been directed at the Prius by the kill the planet brigade and the competition. Selective tests to make sure it underperforms to a tractor, etc. Want a hybrid car that tears up the road? Look at the Lexus.

If all cities had only the Prius and hybrid busses and taxis then the cities would be wonderful.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is not race car. We have tracks for them. It can keep up with the traffic on any road.

You and tractors deserve each other.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You mean I am lacing you with pure logic.

The new Prius is 60mpg mixed. You have been told that many times but it does not sink in. BTW, I hate BMWs and Mercs. I will not have a tattoo to drive one. knobheads cars! Nothing personal.

You have already been told. The Prius is not complex at all. There is less components in it - not even an in-line gearbox. It is just that your mind can't figure it out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

the Sunday Times found it slow compared to the smallest BMW 5 series and having the same fuel consumption.

comparing to an ancient car is getting desperate

no.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

That's its good point, why not use the bus?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

nobody is talking about racing cars

shrug, I own a petrol car anyway.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

you seen to invent things like people dont drive on motorways, I dont call that "pure logic"

only "knobheads" stereotype people by makes of car or take any interest in people who do such things.

yes, you said it, but dont answer the suggestions why its not

I dont need abuse from people like you.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

No in-line gearbox. One engine and one motor. A normal engine has a motor attached to it. The new BMWs use it to stop and star the engine at the lights - like Pirus. For your understanding:

Split a powertrain into three modules:

1 petrol motor, 2 gearbox (CVT or otherwise), 3 diff/wheels It is in sequence,

1, 2, 3. Simple.

The petrol motor need module 2 because of its poor torque delivery characteristics.

An electric motor has modules 1 and 3, eliminating 2, as it can deliver 100% torque to module 3 on start up. Super simple. THE BEST is an electric motor.

A Prius has modules 1 and 3, like an electric motor. In module 1 it has an electric and petrol motor. In module 1 it has a mechanism to automatically combine the power/torque of an electric and petrol motor to give the torque delivery characteristics of an electric motor (called a power splitter).

Some experimental petrol engines can have modules 1 and 3 only, eliminating

  1. This is by automatically varying the valve timing by using solenoid controlled valves. This will deliver the torque to module 3 similar to an electric motor. As with a Prius an auto mechanism is there to present to module 3 torque characteristics like an electric motor.

So, no in-line gearbox, gear cogs, or CVT or otherwise in a Prius.

The point behind a Pirus is to:

- Have no to very low emissions, especially in urban conditions

- reduce fuel consumption, and hence emissions

Ferdinand Porsche raced (and won) a sort of hybrid in the early 1900s. They were petrol motors -> generators -> electric motor -> diff/wheels. In effect an electric CVT "gearbox", all in-line, where the generator and electric motor replaced a mechanical gearbox/CVT. The generator/electric motor does the same job as a mechanical gearbox/CVT. A Prius does not use this setup at all, it has the two motors in parrallel.

The Prius doesn't have an "in-line" transmission (gearbox/CVT). The "clever part" is that is combines the outputs of the electric and petrol motors to give the characteristics of one electric motor, presenting the characteristics of an electric motor to the diff/wheels. Module 3 thinks that its input is an electric motor.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Prius can keep up, and beat, with all cars on brisk A roads and motorways. You can do 100mph anyway.

You should have tractor.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I wrote, "I does not hang about, it is brisk". And it is super quiet.

That is a racing car isn't it?

Stick to tractors - you deserve each other.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A hybrid bus. I do use busses when I need to.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Most people do not and only once in blue moon.

I don't want a bald head or a tattoo.

I don't give abuse. That was an observation.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel