Petrol or Diesel car?

You're telling lies again. The MK II - to which the above refers - had to have its claimed consumption in the US changed to 45mpg after many complaints. And given it was designed specifically to give good results in these particular tests rather than in the real world was telling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please give a reference. If it had been available as a diesel that would have been the choice pretty well everywhere apart from the US. Except that the open road performance would have been even more pathetic for a car of that price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are diesel engines without 'direct' injection? Please tell.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't forget the mysterious box that functions awfully like a gearbox and sits between motor(s) and driveshafts.

Reply to
Adrian

drivel only uses the Prius to drive to the clinic.

Its highly suitable for the mentally disabled.

Everybody knows that no one in their right minds would drive a Prius. Ergo, ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is a separate chamber outside of the piston/cylinder, usually with the glo plugs as well.

The 'bang' happens there and is transfereed more slowly to the main piston cylinder area.

There are also injection systems that fire a series of small pulses of fuel rather than a big one..these reduce low throttle 'clatter'

This is a good article.

The Natural Philosopher

Those that I know do.

Have you any idea how much it costs to replace the batteries in a Prius, which *will* need replacing every 6 or 7 years? It's a lot more than a failed DMF clutch and flywheel. Can you tell us how expensive it is to recycle those enormous used batteries full of nasty substances - I'll give you a clue, it aint a case of taking them down to the local scrappy.

Plus, Priuses are boring to drive, have particularly soggy handling, look horrible and just aren't a great car at all.

Some are unreliable too, and boy, when they break, they are *expensive*

Mike P

Hahaha. I really, really doubt that. Hell, my little 1992 Mazda would leave one for dead,

Reply to
Mike P

So you do hang about then?

I should hope a new Prius is better than a 30 year old shed based on a Morris Minor.

Than what? A squashed fish?

You really need to drive some other cars if you think a Pious is "unrivalled"

Reply to
Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

My turbo has tuned 180,000 miles so as long as it's serviced correctly that's not an issue.

Another thing that's probablly not an issue for most people is mine needed a new front pipe on the exhaust. The bit with the Cat on. This I was able to replace with a non-cat front pipe as diesel just does smoke emissions not CO2

:¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

"

" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I recently changed the (original) turbo in my car after c.170k miles. Not because it was worn, but because of "foreign object damage". Some tit dropped a washer into it. The replacement came off a scrapper, with c.120k miles on, and is good for many tens of thousands of miles yet.

Reply to
Adrian

I hired one for a day here in Melbourne and was more than happy with it, but I was driving it in exactly the sort of conditions it is optimised for, viz start-stop traffic. IKEA is 7km (5mi) from here and this journey generally takes 25 mins, with red light waits being for an extended period as compared with the UK. So for most of the time it was running on electric only, and, of course, totally shutting down at red lights. But as an open road or motorway car it makes little sense as compared with an efficient diesel.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Exactly. When I were a lad some 25 years ago my mate bought one of the new Escort RS turbo's (the first ones with limited slip diff etc)B plate I think whassat about 1984 or something... The rumours at the time was a turbo would need replacing in 30 to 50K miles.

The thing that kills them esp. on a diesel is lack of oil changes at the correct intervals.

I bought the Landrover at 3 years old with 90k on it. It's been abused no end for the last 10 years but always had an oil/filter change around 6k as per oldentimes service schedules. Still no turbo whistle and it will still pull 100mph with a tail wind.

Trouble is the rain comes in through rust holes in the roof so it's life is not for much longer. :¬(

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

The Prius can mix it with them. Great for M-ways.

You must stop making things. It is better to ask about the car rather than think you know it all. The battery and drivetrain guaranteed 8 years with an "average" expected life of 12 years for the batteries. After 12 years the price of batteries will have dropped and improved too. So, after 12 years you have a car with even better performance.

About the same as replacement auto transmission at today's costs. Which will drop in time. A diesel tractor car is £800 minimum to replace a clutch.

They are a pleasure to drive. You made that up again. Great looking cars:

The most reliable car in the world.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You made that up.