Petrol or Diesel car?

There's a difference between a delivery van and a car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The idea that people cannot tell that these cars have diesel engines is a complete myth.

My Audi A6 diesel (2.5 TDI V6) sounded like a truck. My Skoda Octavia sounds even louder, as did its predecessor (2.0 followed 1.9 TDi). All were noisy from new.

Reply to
Bruce

My four year old Octavia Mk1 diesel estate is a bit noisy, but nowhere near the racket of a London taxi - which round here is the first auditory experience that most folks have of a diesel car.

Ye soon get to tune the din out at cruising speed and it disapears under road noise - the latter I find more repetative and tiring. In mine (automatic) the gearbox doesn't change gear that much over most acceleration (except kickdown) so there is less of a racket from shifting.

However, The Octavia Mk2 (which I am rather keen to trade up to) is quieter.

Reply to
Adrian C

London taxis have been fitted with various engines in recent years. The VM engine is probably the worst for noise.

I can assure you, it isn't much quieter. It's usefully bigger and has a better ride, but the diesel is still noisy. If I am on call I sometimes have to go out in the early hours. Out of courtesy to my neighbours, during my on call periods I park the car away from our houses so I don't wake anyone up when starting.

My Merc is quieter, but it doesn't get used for the work I get called out to do. It still sounds like a truck when cold.

Reply to
Bruce

So Le Mans has been won for the past 3 years in a row by an undriveable car?

Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are total idiotic plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which is more down to a peculiar wrinkle in the congestion charge than any other merits.

Reply to
Adrian

Because they have such a long service life, many London black cabs have pretty crude engines of an old design. Although new ones should be better.

Dave Plowman (News)

Bruce wrote: If I am on call I sometimes

That sounds jolly nice of you. Well done!

What you need is a diesel-electric...

Now, who made them?

Reply to
Adrian C

You must eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think we've got about 162K on our '92 Toyota with no major mechanical ailments yet, but as it's a US car "economical" is highly subjective :-)

(actually, considering it's a 3L engine it doesn't do too badly for itself)

Urgh.

Reply to
Jules

In mine, I can fill the cabin with a load of junk or bodies (living I should add) and still cruise motorways building speed and overtaking without shifting down gears and taking huge gulps of fuel from the tank. Doing that in the previous petrol car with near the same engine size (2 litre) and laden similary, the acceleration ability in gear is not as good.

However, if I were a driver in London (or any of the big cities) running around unladen and wanted a smaller lighter car, the entertainment choice would be petrol - and I'd trash the gearbox, run the traffic lights, flatten someone elses dog, advance 0-60 years in 10 seconds and be in the grave soon after the 11'th.

Reply to
Adrian C

runs two "black cabs" and much prefers the previous Nissan engine. He lives in an upmarket residential area and when working early mornings, his neighbours aren't pleased to hear his VM Motori R 425 DOHC start up. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks. I try to treat my neighbours with the consideration I would like from them. Mostly it works well. ;-)

The first Toyota Prius was available as a diesel-electric. The current and forthcoming new models are petrol only, and completely pointless.

Reply to
Bruce

-------------------8><

Monotony is a sure sign that you're due a refresh:

Appelation Controlee

Man at B&Q

It was never diesel. The current models are brilliant in every respect. A true ground breaking car setting the trend.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Get a Prius as they do not have an in-line gearbox. Brill to drive.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

cars 'take decades to become cost effective' Diesel cars can take decades to provide their owners with financial benefits, according to new research.

"According to research by car experts Parker's a BMW 318 diesel could take

28 years to recoup the extra cost."

"Buying a diesel Mini could take the driver up to seven years to break even. A Ford Mondeo diesel could take six years."

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

the sound isn't great, the vibrations minimal and the performance more usable as its at lower revs (I'm comparing my BMW 3 series petrol to the diesel version I hire abroad)

Reply to
clumsy bastard