Diesel scrappage

I wouldn't buy a diesel at the moment. Not until the Government has sorted out what its attitude towards them is going to be. You might find there are a lot of place you're not allowed to take it.

Reply to
Huge

They did and any diesel car under about 7 years old will have one, they are not ideal for cars that only do short journeys as they don't get the opportunity to "burn off" the ash they collect, they certainly do stop the visible blue/grey clouds out the exhaust. I'm not sure what the smallest particles the DPFs collect is, PM10 seems to be the size complained about, and they won't stop the NOx.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've had 2 10 year old cars with DPFs and they've been fine - one sometimes demands a long run to clear it then is OK for ages.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suspect all the places will be places I would never drive (eg centre of massive cities like London).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite possibly, but the problem is that none of us know, as yet.

Reply to
Huge

I've got a diesel. I hope that Blackpool bans them.

Reply to
ARW

Exactly. How long before you won't be able to drive it to any city centre hospital. (Because it is in a city centre, rather than because it is a hospital).

Reply to
newshound

The point is being missed. They don't want to ban them, merely charge extra for you to drive in their shitty centres.

Reply to
Richard

You can only generalise about such things. Individual models may or may not follow this pattern. Most dealers have trade contacts that take older cars off their hands.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It will be the usual mess. Based on age or whatever, rather on the worst polluting vehicles. Which aren't always going to be the oldest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say you need to be driven round London, to see which vehicles you can smell in a traffic queue. Frequently newish ones. And then see the clouds of smoke many produce if they accelerate hard.

The problem being the tests they have to pass either as new vehicles or at MOT time do *not* represent real world driving conditions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you do a small annual milage, the fuel costs may not be the major one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

*grin*
Reply to
Huge
[23 lines snipped]

Never been there. Now that TVR are closed, likely never will.

Reply to
Huge

Precisely.

Reply to
Huge
[snip]

No, and there are also other factors, like our council ramming through legislation to apply a 150ukp levy on top of the residents parking permit. The fact that the majority of the most polluting vehicles live in the more salubrius bits of the boro, and therefore generally are parked off-road seems to be totally irrelevant to them. Wether they view it as a cash-cow, or just lefty virtue-signalling I don't know.

Bastards.

Reply to
Jim White

One proposal from the Mayor of London is within the boundaries of the North and South circular roads. And an awful lot of people live within those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd not dream of driving to my local large hospital. Costs too much to park there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Targeting the place of registration is not the same as targeting the pollution in the cities; the London Mayor is targeting the actual drivers by putting up the congestion charge for these polluting vehicles. The sooner they are removed from our streets the better.

Reply to
mechanic

Not doing much for their secondhand value either.

Reply to
mechanic