cars ta ta

uk signing own death certificate - net zero............

not sure dumbo public realise they are finished yet

UK Government to force Car Makers to ration sale of new Petrol, Diesel and Hybrid cars from 2024!

to push prices up to unaffordable like EVs...............EV demand currently not going well...........just what guvmint want - people out of cars

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

The public are not as dumb as you make out.

EV sales have plummeted despite price cutting by the likes of Tesla.

I've just bought a new SUV which should see me out and many others I know are doing likewise.

The leader of Extinction Rebellion even drives a diesel polluter!

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

What? You bought a ULV? Why is that?

Very likely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I am keeping my 2008 Peugeot going as long as I can - and it still goes very well, especially after having a new air-filter (due to a misunderstanding, it turned out that another garage hadn't been replacing it at each service).

I mainly make short journeys, so on the face of it an EV would be fine. But I wouldn't want to have to worry about range, if I suddenly had to make a longer journey: with my present car I know I can do 200+ at no notice, non-stop (or stopping only for a pee break - no longer). And I don't have the difficult social problem of "can I use your electricity to charge my car so I can get home - let's work out how much I need to pay you".

When they make an EV which can match the 700-mile range and a "recharge" time of a couple of minutes for my diesel Pug, then I'll be interested. Otherwise they are a liability for longer journeys, because you have to hope that you can find a vacant charger and factor in a several-hour recharge delay if the battery is getting low on a journey that it longer than the car's range. When I've driving a long distance, I don't stop for a long time: just enough for loo, snack and change-of-driver.

I've heard that EVs are very nice to drive: good flat torque and hence smooth acceleration from zero speed up to motorway speed, no gearchanges. A diesel-electric car (like a diesel-electric train) would be great (advantages of both), but they won't be allowed: you can only have petrol hybrids which still have a conventional automatic mechanical transmission (yuk!) and just use the battery for starting off or driving for a short distance around town.

Reply to
NY

My hybrid has a CVT transmission, which is relatively uncommon. Very smooth.

The battery gets used quite a lot. It mostly stays charged, since slowing down recharges it. It assists the engine, particularly when accelerating hard (in about half the time of the diesel equivalent from 30-60).

Electric kicks in surprisingly often. I was cruising back along a dual carriageway a couple of nights ago, at 60 mph, and it was running on electric, with the engine stopped, for most of the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This morning, I'm sure I heard that it was a NEW diesel - and if so, presumably it meets the latest low pollution specs. Nevertheless don't ER believe that ALL diesel and petrol vehicles are evil?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The big unknown is how much annual road tax you will have to pay and a 2008 oil-burner is already going to fail all the ULEV towns and cities.

Reply to
Andrew

So far! they have not back tracked on the *go diesel* encouragement. My

2009 VW passat is still £30.00 annual road fund.

Failing ULEV seems an excellent reason to not go there. If they still want my custom they can offer park and ride. Not yet clear if Heathrow pickup is still possible.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Mine (a Yaris) has a CVT too.

I haven't experienced that, although the engine switching off and on at unexpected moments still makes me feel weird.

Reply to
soup

I live just on the outskirts of Edinburgh which is getting one of the ULEAs, just another reason NOT to drive into Edinburgh. Edinburgh is not at all built for cars, streets are very narrow and you can't park. On the plus side though Edinburgh is rather compact and all the central areas are fairly easily walked or at least they would be if everywhere wasn't uphill from everywhere else. :O)

Edinburgh has several of they. They seem to be under utilized at the moment but when the ULEAs start to bite... .

At Edinburgh airport they charge £6 just to enter the premises (in a car) so merely dropping of or pick up will cost £6.

Ingliston park and ride at first sight is a better bet but getting the tram the one stop from Ingliston P&R to the airport costs £7.50 (it's £2.00 for the whole line but £7.50 if you add the Airport zone The Airport zone is a whole one stop).

zone £2.00 City and airport £7.50 Can we say f'n scalpers children?

Glad I am over 60 and have an Edinburgh (lets me use Edinburgh Trams as well as Buses) travel pass.

Reply to
soup

I was annoyed when I found out that although my Highland pass worked on Edinburgh buses, it wasn't valid for the tram.

Reply to
S Viemeister

New diesels meet restrictions for NOx and particulates, but ER are surely far more concerned about CO2, which any fossil fuelled car will emit.

Reply to
SteveW

We used the Ingliston park and ride while on holiday in August and it was fairly empty.

Reply to
SteveW

The other problem is that the EV is unlikely to last as long as your Pug has and I keep cars for much longer than most do.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The answer is yes, they want you out of cars.

"preserving our car-centric cities preserves its inefficiencies and societal costs; it works against much of the personal “behaviour change” we need; "

Now, a lot of charts and graphs, a lot of electrons were wasted on that page. And it's not even a good, or convincing, nirvana.

*******

The simple truth is, we won't meet any climate targets. Look at this beautiful graph. Has the graph kinked ? Did the graph change when we all grunted and strained on the loo ? No. It did not.

There is no illusion of progress in that graph. Funny thing, we didn't do anything, and nothing changed. Hmmm.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

As the atmosphere heats up, more CO2 is retained. It has happened before many times.

Reply to
phister

you say that as if it was a good thing

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Feeling weird = good? You OK?

Reply to
soup

simple just keep out of citys and let them die ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

me too...shower of bastards

Reply to